I am Really starting to hate this truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am Really starting to hate this truck

ever since i bought this 02 f250 7.3 it has been having what i believe the same problem. lately when i start the truck up it fires up good and strong and about 20 minutes later starts clacking loudly when i roll to a stop at a light. the engine struggles to idle, finally when the light turns green the truck struggles to accelerate clacking real loud blowing white smoke until it hits about 50mph. it runs fine at 60 mph but if you stop the truck starts idling rough again to the point where if left alone it will die and be very difficlut to restart. warm starts are very rough as well. it has thrown no codes, it is on a 3rd cps sensor. previous sensor replacements have done nothing. new air filter, relatively new fuel filter. oil level in hpop is fine. the upper valve cover harness seemed okay. the truck also constantly blows white smoke. for $hits and giggles i added a 5.6k resistor to the ICP sensor and it made the truck run so rough i barely made it home. it wanted to shut down at 40mph in OD. with that in it smoked like a banshee.

the only common factor between everthing is that the problem starts at about 2000 miles after an oil change. it has done this three times now. this time i added a little bit of oil to make sure it wasn't from burning some off even though the dipstick said i didn't. addition of oil showed an overfill on the dipstick. it also didn't help the problem. after an oil change the truck runs great. i am almost to the point where i am going to change the oil and trade this peice of crap in. the only thing ford mechanics want to do is suggest changing the cam sensor. if i can't get this thing fixed i'm ready to swear off buying another ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what oil are you using ? the motocraft diesel oil has anti foam additives in it to prevent injector/driveability problems.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 AM

rotella t synthetic. it did this running regular dino rotella and also when i decided to switch to synthetic and ran royal purple.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
What are you using to pull codes? It definately sounds like an Oil related/ICP issue. Keep this bumped up so one of the Techs can see it
Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 AM

i have seen 7.3 run rough on syn oil,if the truck did not have it from new i would put back reg. 15-40.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 PM

i unplugged the icp sensor and drove home 20 miles like that. the truck ran only a little bit better but it still ran rough. also before i pulled the sensor out this morning it decided to run bad almost constantly. is there a possibility that i have either a loose conection under the valve cover or bad injector o-rings ?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to somebodyelse5
did you get the cam sensor replaced? get rid of all possibilities ya know?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blizzardwarrior7
IPR O-ring, UnderValve cover harness, ICP....I have a feeling its a combination of those....Also, have a buzz test performed....Sounds like your losing an injector.

As I said above, have a buzz test performed.....and than check your IPR and under valve cover harness's.

Last edited by blizzardwarrior7; 08-12-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelse5 View Post
did you get the cam sensor replaced? get rid of all possibilities ya know?
its on its third one at this point. the last ford mechanic who touched it insisted the cam sensor was at fault.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I came here to search for info on this as well. Mine acts the same way, except that it stops after it warms up.

It does exactly what the John_Bz wrote up. Stalling, white smoke etc.

The CPS was already replaced early this year. I use Rotella 15w40.

Looking for help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.