No start - glow plug relay? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start - glow plug relay?

Everything has run perfectly, but one day won't start (2000 F350). Starter turns, engine turns, but won't kick over at all, not even a little. Acts like no fuel, so replaced fuel filter. Reservoir is full and pressurized.

Daily temp is over 90F here, but was told glow plugs are still in question. Checking glow plug relay: there are two relays next to each other and look very similar, only one is shorter than the other (shorter is towards rear of engine, taller towards front). Which is glow plug relay?

Shorter relay appears to work as expected for glow plug: Battery voltage on one large post, energizes other large post when ignition is turned to On, releases after a minute or two. One small side post is energized with key on, other is not.

Taller relay has Battery voltage on one large post, but other large post does not get voltage when key is On. Both smaller posts have voltage when when key is On. My guess is bad relay, but what does it go to?

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

still no start - hoping for input

Glow plug relay functions as expected - activates, with no voltage drop. Glow plugs each checked OK by test light. Other relay turns out to be to intake heater - I believe unrelated to starting problem and likely functional.

Found HPOP reservoir 2 inches low, so filled to top and charged batteries. No change. Still starter turns, engine turns, but no hint of catching.

What else should I check?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

is the wait to start light coming on?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes - wait to start light comes on for several seconds as usual. (Glow plug relay activates for a minute or so, as well.)
Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Crank Position Sensor maybe? There is a trick I learned on here. When engiine is turning over. Does the Tach needle bounce? If not? Than dead CPS. There is a recall Ford is doing on them too i seen. The newer ones are grey in color. Older ones are black. We replaced the shop truck one when we first bought it. Ran fine and never had problems. Now Ford did the recall so we put a new one in just for safety.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll double check it - I don't think it was moving at all. Thanks - I'll follow up.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Finally replaced CPS and it started right up. Thanks!

Interesting note: I found my 'recall' letter about the CPS. I called the dealer and they wouldn't do anything unless I towed it in - wouldn't get me a part, either. Cheaper to buy from the parts store and do it myself than for 'free' at the dealer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.