Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EBPV Issues and Questions

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rammstein1224 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Since the temperature has dropped lately (I'm in canada), my truck has been hissing while driving before it has reached operating temperature. It goes away once operating temp is reached and the truck still operates fine both before and after temp is achieved. I have been doing my research and have pinpointed it to the exhaust back pressure valve. From what I understand, this is a very common problem with the turbos in the 7.3 engines and is not harmful to the engine (correct me if i'm wrong). I am just wondering if any of you guys have had this issue and if any of you have done anything to fix it. I have read about an EBPV delete and even that non EBPV pedestals are available or even routing a switch to engage/disengage the EBPV. Any info and advice is appreciated!

Thanks

#2 ·
Yes that is exactly what the ebpv does. All it is is a buttterfly valve that closes off the downpipe and puts a load on the engine and helps it warm up faster. It is absolutely ok for the engine. Yes alot of guys delete them but honestly if you live in a cold environment it definitely helps with warm up. I have mine wired to a switch so i can engage it anytime i want

#3 ·
if its cold a lot were you live keep it.
otherwise, just get a delete pedestal and high flow outlet and call it a day
next time my turbo needs to be removed im doing this mod.

#4 ·
Thanks for the clarification guys. The hissing is very annoying while driving but if it's serving a purpose then I will put up with it. Rammstein (awesome name by the way lol), I am considering wiring mine to a switch. When do you engage/disengage it and do you use it as an exhaust brake at all? Would you recommend doing it or have any tips about it's purpose or wiring up a switch?

#6 ·
Yes like blue99 said its not a good idea unless you wanna replace up pipes and possibly hit your valves on the pistons. Only time i use it is to warm up the truck. You can do without it while your driving as long you warm it up first. Thats why i wired it to a switch and when you do it you have to either cut the wire coming from the pcm because if you just splice a wire in it will back feed to the pcm which is bad.

#5 ·
it is not a good idea to use it as an exhaust break.

you can read why on phps website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.