Losing elecrical power then stalls - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Losing elecrical power then stalls

I have a very stange issue. I have a 2003 F250 7.3L CC with 150k. Today i drove it about 60 miles to pick up some snow tires for my mustang. I am almost to my destination when the radio starts to die. Then the odometer and trip computer start to dim out and the abs light comes on, then while still traveling at 50mph the speedo/rpm guage go to 0 while the motor is still running. So i assume the alternator which is 8months old is bad again. I pull into the guys driveway put the truck in park and it stalls. After i get the tires i go out truck cranks over nicely and starts. Everything has power again for about 2miles then the truck stalls while driving. This happened several times while i was trying to make it to the closet auto zone. After only making it about miles from the guys house I finally gave up and called AAA to have it towed home. When i got home truck still would start and run for about 2min slowly losing power and stalling again. If i start the truck and put a load on it like turning on the headlights truck will stall out.

So this afternoon i pulled out both batteries and put them on a trickle charger. I plan on pulling off the alternator tomorrow and taking it into autozone to be tested. What else could it be? I have never seen a vehicle with a bad alternator still start after losing power like this. It dosnt make any sense to me. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alternator test good. I really hate to have this towed to the dealer any suggestions??
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have not had any time recently to work on the truck but really need to get it back on the road, any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Electrical gremlins

I had the same issues happen to me, ended up being the factory battery terminals had corroded from the inside where the leads connect. There was no visible sign of corrosion. So as not to have it happen again, I bought marine terminal and had the leads re-crimped. Make sure to do both the positive and negative. It hasn't skipped a beat since...
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

x2 on the battery terminals... in this case especially the ground.

My passenger side ground had started to cut through from rubbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.