2003 7.3 f250 keeps dying - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 7.3 f250 keeps dying

I have a 2003 7.3 diesel. truck has 230xxx miles. Motor I am not sure. It had a new long block put in about 6 months ago. It was dying and would not start for at least 10 minutes. I replaced the cam sensor. Noticed the icp sensor had oil in the plug so I replaced both and wired back with heat shrink connectors. Now in throttle going down the highway it coughs and will throw a little white smoke. If sitting at an idle or not in the throttle it dies. It will start right back up. It finally threw the check engine light. I got home and threw it on the scanner but the light had reset itself and my scanner showed no codes. Any ideas where to go next? It also has a small amount on oil accruing on top of the intake.. Thanks in advance for any advice. I traded my perfectly fine mustang gt for this new toy and im really starting to think I got in over my head......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Depending on the year of your GT, take it from me... You made a wise choice. They are total lemons and after a certain amount of miles EVERYTHING starts going bad on them. Granite the racing doesn't help but I'm at 145k in mine and I've dumped over $6k in parts into it this year alone. **** its currently sitting dead in my driveway. I lack the desire to fiddle with it anymore this year

As for your truck problems.. Leaking oil is never a good thing, nor is a little white smoke. If I had to guess.. I'd start checking your turbo over to make sure it's not leaking anywhere. Almost sounds like the turbo is starting to go. If it wasn't replaced with the longblock and the previous owner beat the **** out of it then I would highly suspect it to blow out soon. Now is the time to upgrade it tho, if it is infact the turbo
Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you need a better scanner, the code is stored and your scanner isnt good enough to read it.

as far as oil in the intake thats normal, its oil coming from the ccv which vents into the intake.

could be a number of things are wrong.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the info. The scanner we have is a fairly high dollar one. I just may not be using it right. It's from our shop wee use in semi's. I'll have our mechanic check it out. Some more info I just bought this a month ago. Ran fine first 120 miles. Them parked for a week. Drove it one day when it started the dieing and not restarting. Didn't start this coughing and during at an idle till yesterday really. It's more of a weekend driver than anything. Dealer did fresh oil change. I'll change fuel filter tomorrow and see what that does. Any preference on filter? I have a buddy that said wix.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM

using the oem cap, racor/motorcraft filters are the ones to get.

try getting a new cps. delphi or Borg warner cps
Old 10-29-2013, 05:48 PM

Thumbs down

Going to the ford dealer tomorrow to get another cam sensor. Fuel filter looked brand new. Yesterday I drive it to my sons football game. Made it 3 miles and it died and would not restart. Had to get drug home by a Chevy!!! I will put new sensor on tomorrow and drive it for a bit. If it runs ok I will put my company pickup in the shop for a few days and drive the slut. I'll update any outcome. Thanks everybody.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 PM

went to the ford dealer and got the oem cam sensor. installed and started right up after cranking for about 5 seconds or so. let it warm up a few and took her for a little spin for about 15 ish miles. I ran the dog piss out of the slut and she never cut out or coughed or died. I will put a few miles on it this weekend and report back. we shall see what she does.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:52 AM

get an extra cps and a 10mm ratchet and put them in the glove box. that way if it ever fails you will have a spare.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM

That didn't work. Made it 31 miles then same results. Got pulled in by a ford this time though woohoo !!!!! Changed the oil just to see if that's it. Let it idle to operating temperature, revved it up a couple times then if died. So whatever th problem is it is doing it after motor is hot. Geeeeezzzzzzzz. I'm stumped. Either ipr next then pull valve covers and see if wires inside are boogered up or not.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 PM

That's crazy man. When it dies and won't start what exactly does it do? Like does it crank and crank and crank or does it not do anything at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.