7.3 just shut off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 just shut off

1999 7.3 diesel just shut off while driving to work still had lights and was able to crank the engine but would not start. Having it towed. Newbe to site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
get yourself a new CPS..(cam positioner sensor) from the dealership. The ones' from the autostore are junk.

99.5 x-cab 7.3l, 6spd, 161k miles.....
post #3 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well, of course, there are literally Dozens of things it could be....

In a '99 the quick CPS test is to watch the Tach while cranking on the Starter. If it moves up slightly, the CPS is doing it's job. You can check for things like Fuel Delivery (are you below 1/4 tank?), and blown fuses (do you get a WTS light when you first roll-on the key?) before you pay for a tow. Then, you would want to get it on the right scanner to monitor the sensors to see what might be going wrong (you need a professional scanner NOT one of the cheap ones the Auto Parts Stores use).
post #4 of 14 Old 10-27-2013, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NoRalphs Gallery Hall and Tommyboy76. Thanks for your replies not sure what the problem is yet but had to tow it to the Ford dealer ship will find out Monday as they where to busy to get it till then.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-27-2013, 08:44 PM

I doubt its the CPS. CPS failures are usually one miss that kills the engine and you can immediately restart it.

Sounds more like an oil/fuel delivery issue. Check fuel pressure, ICP, and IPR duty cycle. Early bet is IPR.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-10-2016, 03:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello Gents
I have a problem with our van, 7,3l I have the same symptoms, Just stops after starting, and as soon as it gets warn doesn't start at all. The problem is I live in Romania and there is no shop to work on a vehicle like this one. No program, no computer hook up. Does any one of you have the patience to point out some things I could start from? I m not stupid I m pretty handy with tools, I can work on a car, I do not have a good vocabulary to understand all the terms but I do have some good american friends here that will help me with this.
thank you so much
post #7 of 14 Old 11-10-2016, 07:10 AM

benilariu - start your own thread, be sure to include information on your van (year, mileage, any mods, maybe some repair history).

In your situation, I think it's very important for you to get your own scanner that will allow you do repair & maintain your van. The most complete tool you can get would be the AutoEnginuity (with the Ford Enhanced package) for $350 US that you run on a Windows computer. You can get the most important information for a lot less with an App based tool. Read through this -> Ford SuperDuty Diagnosis on the Cheap

With the right scanner you could monitor the sensors to see what's going on as it stops running (the Hi Pressure Oil sensors in particular) and get codes that the computer generates when things go wrong.

This can be as simple as low oil level in the engine (check the dipstick) or fuel delivery because of a clogged filter, bad pump, or even a cracked pick-up in the fuel tank (add fuel if you're 1/4 tank or lower).

It can be Many other things too of course

Check that easy stuff, start your own thread, include new info including what you've found.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-13-2016, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
benilariu - start your own thread, be sure to include information on your van (year, mileage, any mods, maybe some repair history).

In your situation, I think it's very important for you to get your own scanner that will allow you do repair & maintain your van. The most complete tool you can get would be the AutoEnginuity (with the Ford Enhanced package) for $350 US that you run on a Windows computer. You can get the most important information for a lot less with an App based tool. Read through this -> Ford SuperDuty Diagnosis on the Cheap

With the right scanner you could monitor the sensors to see what's going on as it stops running (the Hi Pressure Oil sensors in particular) and get codes that the computer generates when things go wrong.

This can be as simple as low oil level in the engine (check the dipstick) or fuel delivery because of a clogged filter, bad pump, or even a cracked pick-up in the fuel tank (add fuel if you're 1/4 tank or lower).

It can be Many other things too of course

Check that easy stuff, start your own thread, include new info including what you've found.
I agree, you need a good scan tool. However AutoEnginuity is expensive. Get on Amazon order an ELM327 with drivers disk and go to ForScan.org and download their free software. I've been using it on my pickup for a while now and it works great and gives me all the options everyone else says AutoEnginuity gives them for only $15 for the cable
post #9 of 14 Old 11-13-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmoore10 View Post
I agree, you need a good scan tool. However AutoEnginuity is expensive. Get on Amazon order an ELM327 with drivers disk and go to ForScan.org and download their free software. I've been using it on my pickup for a while now and it works great and gives me all the options everyone else says AutoEnginuity gives them for only $15 for the cable
You'll see in my post above I linked to the thread where the ForScan, and other "App based", scanners are tested & evaluated along with my advice that you'll get most of the important info you'd get from the AE for a lot less money.

But if you think the ForScan does everything the AE does for that money you're kidding yourself
post #10 of 14 Old 11-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't think I am. Give me a example of something you can do on AE that you can't on FS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode