Glow Plug Relay Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 02:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug Relay Question

Last night I used a test light to check the contacts on the glow plug relay. I found the big post that was hot all the time but the two small posts were also hot all the time. Is this normal. The other big post never got hot so I am assuming I have a bad relay. Is there any other test I can do to verify this before purchasing a new relay? Also where is the best place to purchase a new relay? It is starting to get cold here in PA so I need to remedy this problem ASAP. Thanks for any info regarding this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2006, 04:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will be along soon.
Where abouts in Cent. PA?
Any bow hunting for you?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Glowplug Relay

Hi,this whisky6,about the glowplug relay if yours looks like a ford starter relay i used a ford starter relay on my 1995 psd for over a year now with no adverse effects yet may not last as long as original,but the reason i used the starter relay was the cost (17.00vs82.00 )at ford parts,i could not see any difference between them,thank,s
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same glow plug problem, but for a different reason, (see my post on this same forum, autotrans puked & wont start). The glowplug relay is hot on both small posts because there is no current flow thru the coil until the PCM provides an "active" low (ground) to complete the circuit from + to -. To test, attach a jumper (use with wire guage same or larger than on post) to ground, test lite should go out & glowplug relay will actuate. You should be able to feel the relay when you touch grounded jumper to post on driver side, then jump into truck & try to start. If relay & glowplug are good, truck should start & the fault is either wiring to PCM or PCM???? Marc may be able to shed some lite on PCM failures.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Whiskey, be VERY carefull using a relay not designed for the function you are using it for. If too much, or too little amprage than a relay is designed to work with, you can cause major problems!!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

same problem

same problem here where do the two small wires go?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

ignition wire and PCM controlled ground (timed)
Old 11-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

99 PSD 7.3 I went through the same deal last week. I checked with a test light, no juice going through. I checked around for prices and NAPA had the best deal. $53.00. The next morning we had a cold spell down to 26 deg. Heated up started fine.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

To check your glow plug relay use a DVOM put on dc volts. hook positive clamp to one of the big terminals and the negative clamp to other big terminal. with key off you should have battery voltage. with key on the dvom should read less than .02 volts. (Ford Spec.). Depending on temperature glow plugs can stay on for up to 2 min. Ford relays are nitrogen filled others are not. Supposed to last longer.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does the .02 below that DJ is refering to come on and then go back to Battery voltage. My First diesel F350/7.3/1997 and felt my relay was a little hot, so hot i could not touch it. Not original two post relay but four post installed.

To check your glow plug relay use a DVOM put on dc volts. hook positive clamp to one of the big terminals and the negative clamp to other big terminal. with key off you should have battery voltage. with key on the dvom should read less than .02 volts. (Ford Spec.). Depending on temperature glow plugs can stay on for up to 2 min. Ford relays are nitrogen filled others are not. Supposed to last longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.