Ignition on warm up issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ignition on warm up issues

On my trip to Bowling Green last week, I started having an issue with my truck popping multiple codes after I start up.

They are all dealing with the warm up at start. Glow plug circuit, manifold warm up etc. There are between 4 and 6 codes.

My wait to start comes on, but I noticed that my voltage was not dropped from the glow plugs drawing current after the motor was running. I would normally see a voltage around 12.4 or so for some 25 - 30 seconds and then kick up to 13.8V.

I have a GP solonoid in my Excursion like a 99 F250. When I looked this part up, the books show a module for my 2000 EX, and I am not equipped with that ONLY at least.

I have not checked the solonoid yet for signal to to activate it, but will try to later when I have time. I was looking for ideas of anything else I may need to inspect if it is not getting the signal to push power to the glow plugs.

I clear the codes right away and no others codes will appear until the motor is shut of and started again. The CEL comes on about 4 seconds after ignition fire off.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mike

Last edited by beamer; 10-21-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

I thought all Ex's came with the GPCM. That's what I get for thinking.

What battery voltage are you seeing, before and after startup?

Saw this on another forum:

Quote:
Ran into this a time or two in my shop. First time it was the PCM that was faulty, second time it was wiring in the main harness leading up to the 42 pin connector not actually the engine harness.

Quick test is to pull the small wires off (so that one doesnt power the other thru the relay) and see if both have power when the key is turned on. If so then powers coming from the PCM and wiring good if not onto testing the harness

Find a good wiring diagram and then test resistance in the two activation wires from at the Glow Plug Relay all the way to the associate pin at the PCM plug at the firewall (pull the plug DONT PROBE!) is how I test them. If both wires are good then you're only left with a fault bus circuit in the PCM or a magical gremlin
I think that will be a quick and easy way to determine if you need to change out the PCM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM

I believe I found my problem. Freaking rat bastards !

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition on warm up issues-wires-chewed-up.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

That very well could be the issue.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM

All fixed !

3 wires chewed up and connected back.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.