trailer wiring harness, help!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to gwilliamson
trailer wiring harness, help!!!

I went to hook up my newly wired gooseneck to my ford yesterday and all the lights check out on the trailer execpt stop turn on the pass side. i put a tester on that function and it checked out on the trailer but not the truck. i cleaned up the factory pig tail connector where the female plug goes into the harness up by the drivers frame rail forward to the rear bumper.... is there a fuse or something i'm missing because i have cleaned every connector i could find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I don't know if there are any fuses, but the exact thing happened to my son's DoddieMax and it was fuses. Check 'em all!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

One more plug to check, the plug on the end of the truck actually comes apart in two pieces, remove the four small screws that hold the plug into the bracket and you should be able to remove it in two pieces/connections. Clean that and electrically check to see if you have power at the plug you just pulled apart, put some dielectric grease in there as well when you put it back together.

If I remember correctly there is also plugs right near the trailer hitch and spare tire, pull those apart and check those as well for power.

If you don't have a power at the plug I would work your way up to the front of the truck checking for power at each plug, and as said before check all fuses.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilliamson View Post
I went to hook up my newly wired gooseneck to my ford yesterday and all the lights check out on the trailer execpt stop turn on the pass side. i put a tester on that function and it checked out on the trailer but not the truck. i cleaned up the factory pig tail connector where the female plug goes into the harness up by the drivers frame rail forward to the rear bumper.... is there a fuse or something i'm missing because i have cleaned every connector i could find.
Don't know what year your truck is, but fuse #6 under the dash is for trailer tow turn/stop relay. This info is out of a 2004 Owners Manual. Hope it helps and you get it fixed.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:00 PM

thanks guys, yeah i checked that one by the spare.... haven't got to fuses yet cuz i didn't know which one to check. thanks guys and i will report back
Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 PM

Try turning on the pass. turn signal then with a test light go to the trailer plug on the truck and touch the connection for pass stop/turn. I had to do this last week and ended up being a 20amp mini fuse under the hood.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ what 2005F250 said. Check the under hood fuses. They're in between the air cleaner and the firewall. Some of those fuses are for the power that goes out the plug. The under dash ones are for the truck itself.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:23 AM

yeah thanks guys, i bet it is that fuse... i was wiring the trailer and i followed the wrong diagram (wired it for commercial at first on accident) so i bet i short that fuse. i'm currently on the boat so i can't check it. that will be the first thing i check when i get off.

thanks again guys
Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 AM

yea there is a fuse under the dash pannel and it runs the stop/signal on the harness mine blows all the time im temped to but a bigger fuse in so it will stop but then it might burn the wire if there is a short
Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 PM

it was the 7.5 amp fuse under the hood fuse panel.... inboard side forward....

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.