sterling 10.5 problems after pinion seal change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to hellraiserford
sterling 10.5 problems after pinion seal change

Had a bad oil leak from the pinion seal. Decided to change the seal, abs sensor, rear cover gasket and fluid. Everything went well till I got to the pinion seal. Nut came off easy but took an act of god to get the yoke off the rear end. Ended up using a jaw puller to get it off. Took old seal out and got housing cleaned up and yoke. Installed new seal with no problem. Got yoke back on, nut and drive shaft. Filled with royal purple and then wen for test drive. That's where the problem started. Bad vibration in the cab and drive line when you let off the accelerator. Almost sounds there is a howl or light grinding for the rear.

Truck is a 02 f250 crew cab 4x4. Rear axel is a sterling 10.5 with the limited slip carrier. If anyone has any idea on what went wrong or what the issue is let me know. Need to get it back on the road asap. Only vehicle at the moment.

If it helps any I marked the yoke and pinion to put it back exactly where it came off from. And I forgot to count the number of turns it took to get the nut off. But lined it back up to the rust line on the pinion threads. Put pinion still seems sloppy. Feels like I can move it up,down side to side more than I should be able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The torque of the pinion nut is extremely important to your bearings. Don't drive the truck anymore till you get if fixed or you may end up needing a new axle/gears/bearings. At this point I would pull the cover to inspect the gears for damage. After that, pull the shafts and pop the carrier out so you can set the proper preload on the pinion. You could have cheated if you marked and measured everything at the beginning but your safest bet is to set preload to factory specs.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yup, JS naile it. Once nut/yoke was removed, you messed up the preload on the CRUSH SLEEVE...(i dreaded doing this with my axle in pisspoor shape, so opted the "find used axle" as my fix).

You'll need a new crush sleeve and/or have truck hauled to axle shop and paythe few hundred to have it set correctly.

It takes 450#-600# to crush the sleeve, but only 8-12 INCH lbs to actually "turn" the axle assy once the sleeve is set.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
dont forget to set pinion depth too!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Starting to sound like I may just put in another axle.....Anyone need a limited slip carrier ...lol
Old 10-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
here's your axle....

ford f250

Parting out 2005 F250 extended cab
Old 10-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the lead on the axle timmy, but contacted the guy and its already sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.