Fuel pump problem?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pump problem??

Here's my problem and diagnosis. I need a reassurance from ya'll to see if I am on the right path.

About 2 weeks ago, I was coming back from a 60 mile trip and noticed my truck was starting to hesitate. I was going steady at 75 mph. So I thought maybe the filter and water seperator was the suspect. Then I remembered I got fuel out of a tank from a buddy of mine, well, the tank was almost empty and I know I got some sediment from it. The proof was in my filter bowl on the top of the motor.So I cleaned it out, replaced the filter and whatnot and drove the next day.

So, on my way home, I get on the interstate and she's chugging real bad. Steering wheel is shakin, barely staying at 50 mph and starting to leave a small cloud of white smoke.Feels like it's dying for fuel. I let off the pedal and it stops, get back on it and it keeps on happening. I make it home.

Today, I start looking. I think its my fuel sending unit under the driver's side door, but it was making a whining noise for about 5 seconds after the glow plugs heat up. Just to use for a gauge of time to how long it will whine when I turn the key.

So I take it out, monkey around with it for a minute and see nothing incriminating. For the peace of mind, I want to know if the pump in the tank has went bad. I put the fuel line in a clear glass bottle, turn the key and no fuel comes out. I double check everything and try again to have the same results.

My question is, will the fuel pump work without the sending unit being hooked up? Are they linked together electronically somehow? And is the little aluminum looking cylider coverd in black rubber foam, under the drivers side door, the sending unit?

I did not check for electric to be at the pump in tank, but I am confident nothing has been goofed around with.

Sorry for the long discription but I am trying to give the best description I can. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the sending unit u have under the drivers door on the frame rail is the fuel pump
Old 07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
The fuel pump and the sending unit are not hooked together.

The fuel gauge sending unit is in the tank. The fuel pump is on the driverside frame rail in the location you describe. There is NO PUMP in the TANK.

You were messin with the pump. Which could be bad but before you buy a new one. Do a flow test on the one you have. Also do a pressure test on it.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 PM

So there is no pump in the tank? It has electric wires going to it.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:09 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Bare View Post
So there is no pump in the tank? It has electric wires going to it.
There is a fuel gauge sending unit in the tank. That is what the electrical wires going to the tank are for.

Before you get into deep I suggest you buy a repair manual for your truck.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
There is a fuel gauge sending unit in the tank. That is what the electrical wires going to the tank are for.

Before you get into deep I suggest you buy a repair manual for your truck.
Thank you very much. Advice taken.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Thank you very much. Advice taken.
The repair manual is worth the investment. I suggest everyone to buy one for every vehicle they own. I have a nice library of them. Every single one I have are from when I owned that model vehicle or have worked on that vehicle for someone.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM

I know, I have just not needed one for it yet. I wanted to see if it was worth me taking it to a diesel shop or doing it myself. I still have 9000 miles of extended warranty left. Lucky for me, I let my wife talk me into it !

But there is something going on with it that I am not sure what it is and gotta get it fixed.... off to the shop I guess
Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
I know, I have just not needed one for it yet. I wanted to see if it was worth me taking it to a diesel shop or doing it myself. I still have 9000 miles of extended warranty left. Lucky for me, I let my wife talk me into it !

But there is something going on with it that I am not sure what it is and gotta get it fixed.... off to the shop I guess
You got warranty might as well get your money out of it. Let them fix it for you. If you have to pay a deductible it will be cheaper then the new pump. If you need a new pump.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 PM

Yea, 100 dollar deductable. I figured a pump was probably 160 or so, I would rather have my truck back faster. But, I would rather have it run longer in the end then I would to have it right now. Ahhhh, chit, gotta drive the wifes Chebby for now LOL

Thanks for your help bro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.