Need some quick guidance on taking care of some of my new trucks "personality" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some quick guidance on taking care of some of my new trucks "personality"

Just like to say this is my second post (intro first) here and I am excited to be a part of this community. I have read some great stuff from here over the past few weeks and am really ready to dig in further.

I am really trying to get her back to fighting weight here as I will need some hard work out of her soon where I cannot afford to be without a vehicle so any help is greatly appreciated.

Background. I am a quick learner but am a self taught homeowner mechanic. I have not tackled too many projects over the years but have not been stuck in any of them left not wanting to handle more difficult adventures. My truck is a 2002 F250 7.3 Crew, Long, Lariat, 4x4, that is stock other then No Cat, straight pipe and an AFE intake. She is big, red and 125,000 miles young. I got her from a rodeo fella in Wyoming for a good deal. IF he took care of the maint like he did the body and interior then hopefully I got a long run deal here.

What I have done.
Did a complete and thurough flush of the radiator and put in some Delo 400. Put in a new stat and replaced the hoses.
Did a power steering flush and fill (got rid of my groan/whine)!!!
Put a new oem fuel filter back in
Replaced the CPS
Replaced some cable terminals on the pretty new interstate batteries.
Put a new starter in
Changed back to factory oil filter and switched over to Rotella T-6 5w-40
Put Mag Hytec diff cover and new fluid in rear and pulled cover and changed fluid in front diff.

My issue. Number one...should I get the autoenginuity scanner for the long haul? I have never used a scanner before but the benefits seem obvious. Too much for a newb?

She is having some goofy starts. Before I changed the oil and brought the level to actual full there were some longer then desired warm and cold starts but more warm then anything. It would crank for about 3-4 seconds before firing up maybe 5 seconds. The duration is definitely less now that I have changed the oil but still longer then the strokers around me. I have checked the oil level in the HPOP and it was almost to the threads. The cold starts are hit and miss but this morning she cranked and hesitated multiple times for about a 10 second duration then I stopped the process and and did a wait to start cycle again and she fired right up with more white initial smoke then normal. Once idiling after a few seconds no smoke, sounds normal and drives fine. I was planning on changing the ICP and IPR but want to get input first. If those should be regular maintenance items and it is high time to replace them then I won't even question it and just do it. Should I go factory or not on those. I have gotten OEM on everything else other then the diff cover and oils/coolant. I also noticed that when I changed the fuel filter that there is oxidation inside of the bowl?? I don't have any leaks at this time but was planning on just pulling the bowl, cleaning and rebuilding with the kit from Guzzles website...It crossed my mind that the corrosion was from the fuel setteling too much and creating an air gap to allow oxidation to form but maybe that is far fetched. Take care of this problem right away or focus on other things first. Other ideas?

My last concern is there is a very slight surging when stopped at lights for a while. It also is less pronounced since I changed oil and sometimes I cannot even notice it. The engine idle seems completely consistent however there is a low and slow pulse almost like it is related to exhaust. My dads mechanic said he would not even sweat it especially having no muffler, straight pipes and no Cat. Worry or let this one go.

Any other things you would handle maint wise right away. I really need a dependable driver here.

I know that is long winded but I am trying to lay it all out there. If this relates at all the mileage is around 18 on the highway with some side streets, she purrs going down the road, I can hear a lot of turbo whistle with the AFE and I actually drive around with a smile again. I truly like this truck so far.
Travis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 04:12 PM

After the rough start this morning I let it sit for about 6 hours to get cold again and then took my multi meter and tested the battery at 12.4 volts and the same at the GPR then had my wife switch it to wait to start and got 11.7 on the second post. We then completed the wait cycle and it started quite good.????
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If she is running fine I wouldn't worry about the sensors but look into the stancor relay for your glow plugs for cold starts maybe change those glow plugs and maybe a buzz test on those injectors just to cover everything

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Funny you should mention that... I read the sticky and found the stancor and have it bookmarked for order tomorrow.

Ill try and look for some good links on the Buzztest procedure. If you know of a good one already let me know. Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 06:03 AM

Now I am a little worried...It got down to 36 last night and I got up early to run another GPR test and it ran at about 11.5 during activation compared to my 12.4 at the battery and I let it wait to start about 15-20 seconds and it bucked and farted blowing white smoke and did not start the first or the second time. I should also add that the original owner finally got back to me last night and told me that he just had all the glow plugs replaced recently. My amateur thought was injectors not building pressure.....yours?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

GPR. Get the stancor in and you'll be much happier. Until that happens, keep the block plugged in over night.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:46 AM

I talked to a highly recommended shop over the phone on Friday and he also suggested changing over to the Stancor and I will, however I still think that it should start with a near brand new GPR that has tested fine on all accounts. I like the durability of the Stancor etc however I don't want to mask a larger looming problem. If I am wrong about this just let me know as I am all ears right now. Thanks, Travis
Old 10-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

It didn't test fine on any account. You're getting 12.4 on the hot post, and 11.5 on the GP post. The relay shouldn't drop voltage like that. The contacts are burnt up, not allowing for a good current flow to the GP's. Do you know that the GPR is relatively new? You don't even have to look at the GPR when you change GP's...
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Well dam, I thought that was an acceptable drop...what is an ok drop amount. This is the reason I am here. It is bright new and shiny and was replaced right before he posted the truck.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 AM

I might have messed up....when I checked the voltage on the always hot terminal I checked it before the key was switched to the on position which I am assuming will drop when switched on with lights, bells etc...

This time I checked both terminals with key to on and got 12.01 and 11.88. Sorry, my bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.