Hard to Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard to Start

Hey guys, I have a 2001 Ford F350, with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Just recently it has giving me trouble starting it occasionally. It will turn over just fine, you will here a rapid clicking noise coming from the dash, the tach will bounce around and sometimes peg out, and not start. 2-3 tries later It will start just fine. I have changed both batteries, changed the cam position sensor which seemed to stop it for a brief few days, but it is doing it again. Can anyone please help me out, I do not want to have to bring it to the shop for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IF your '01 has a Trans Temp Gauge in the cluster (some do, some don't, it's just an indication the truck has an electrical change that occurred that year) I would look for the connection where the Battery (+) makes it's transition to fuseable links that feed the fusebox. All that clicking & confusion is often about low current....

POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine......
Old 10-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks so much for the reply. When I get back today I will check the electrical side going into the fuse panels. I do not have a transmission temp gauge, but the symptoms seem so much like a weak battery issue, so I am leaning towards that now.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM

I though you said you changed the batteries though? To know if the batteries are good or not you need to charge them up fully and have them, individually, Load Tested at a High rate (not those, puny 100A testers the Parts Stores have for ricers )

Also, you could have good batteries but a problem with the cables or ends. Clean, grease, & tighten Both sides of all the cables maybe.

You do not have the connection I was talking about as the upgraded 01's have...
Old 10-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just getting back in from an offshore fishing trip and pretty sure I have to get the tranny rebuilt now too! Leaking from the front seal pretty bad. I did change the batteries, because it seemed so much like a low battery issue at first. I will reclean and reconnect the terminals just to be safe as well as follow the cables to the fuse box to make sure nothing is bad there. Thanks for the help. It really does it more when the truck has sat for a few days, when it is warm it doesnt do it as much. I will keep you posted Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I have a question pertaining to my initial problem. What is located in the center lower dash? I can see and feel it when the fuse panel door is off, and has a harness with quite a few wires coming from it. When I turn the key to the position right before you actually start the truck, i sometimes here a rapid clicking from that part. It'll click for a few seconds, ONLY when it clicks the truck will not start. Is there a relay or something that I need to change right there? Hope this is not to confusing. Just very frustrating!

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:41 AM

There's a bunch of relays, ALL of which control stuff that could prevent starting, you have to find the one that's not holding (that's usually what the "buzz" is telling you).

Get out the Owners manual and look at the electrical section. Identify where those relays are located and what they control (leave it open to that page ) and put you hand down there every time you start. When it happens you should be able to feel which one of those "little black boxes" (relays) is buzzing.

That's how you'll narrow it down I think...
Old 11-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can get my hand on the one that is doing the chattering, just can't get to it. Will look at removing the lower dash. Not sure how big of a job that is but it is behind the business card holder thing. Thanks for the help I will follow up with what I find out.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Relays

Ok I have chased it down to this cluster. Not sure which one of the three it is. Anyone know how to test relays or is it cheap enough to just change them?
Attached Thumbnails
Hard to Start-image.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Frustrating

Sorry for the repetitive posts, just went pick up a new relay, it was the black one on the left in the pic. First crank worked fine, second time it is clicking again!! Guess I should start checking all of the grounds?? Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Hard to Start-image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.