IDM Location changeout? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question IDM Location changeout?

I believe that the IDM has gone out in my truck. I was wondering about the location and any instructions to change it out Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I came across this as well:

Hard start; Stalling; Irractic idle and/or loss of power; DTC P1298 all models--95-96 Econoline in wet weather:
Injector Driver Module (IDM).
The IDM converts 12 volt battery power into 110 volts and activates the injectors as directed by the PCM. On some Econolines water may enter the IDM causing the above symptoms. To diagnose, remove the LH battery and the coolant overflow bottle and access the IDM which is mounted behind the coolant bottle. Remove the IDM(both ground strap bolts need to be removed) and shake it, listening for a sloshing sound. Water running off the roof and cowl areas can enter the IDM; there is a service replacement IDM--F6TZ-12B599-AA--that has improved sealing. Also install foam seals (1)F6UZ-13C795-AA and (2)-BA on the back of the IDM.
If the DTC P1298 is alone when performing code retrieval, replace the IDM; if other codes are present, diagnose them first.
A faulty IDM can cause driveablity concerns similar to a malfunctioning ignition module in a gas-powered vehicle. Under load it will seem as if the engine is starving for fuel. If you verify good fuel and oil delivery and pressure to the heads, and the Mass Fuel Desired, ICP, IPR and Fuel PW readings climb while the RPM's drop, suspect the IDM.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
I just noticed that was for the wrong vehicle -
Let me see if I can find the correct location.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 1541 View Post
I believe that the IDM has gone out in my truck. I was wondering about the location and any instructions to change it out Thanks in advance for any info.
Its behind the inner fender cover. You have to take the plastic inner fender out the look toward the door and youll see it.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes my mechanic says the idm is gone. i have a 96 e350 7.3 psd. the id is almost on the firewall behind the coolant. when i drove the van the first day i got it dorve it home on the hw. next thing you know it sounded like the engine was starving and i lost complete power it stalled. ran good for another 2 mins. then died for good he says the idm is 1600 bucks from the dealer. a rebuilt one is 600 is it worth getting a rebuilt and saving a 1000 any recomendations please and thankyou.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck intermitently surges at idle for a few seconds and sometimes has a hardstart,could this be a idm problem? where is the idm on a 1997 f350 4x4 w/automatic trans? The computer download showed no codes but there is something going on. Help please.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found an reman IDM on the net for $200.00. It fits a 2003 F350 with a 7.3. It has a 1yr warranty.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvance7 View Post
I found an reman IDM on the net for $200.00. It fits a 2003 F350 with a 7.3. It has a 1yr warranty.
Where is this $200. unit found on the net? Brand? Remanufacturer?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

IDM for Ford 7.3

Auto Computer Exchange - Auto Computer Superstore - Cheaper than dealers and mechanics.

The price has gone up to $250.00. Mine has been installed since June. It works fine and they are good to deal with.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is located in the fender behind the F350 emblem. You have to remove the fender liner to get to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.