Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need help with steering box information

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  yooper906 
#1 ·
A couple days ago i got into my truck which is a 2003 f350 7.3 4x4 SRW with a leveling kit and 35's, and the steering wheel was crooked to the left about 30 degrees and its extremely difficult to turn left.

Although the steering wheel is crooked the truck still drove straight and i dont remember hitting anything hard at all. After a little inspection i found out that i sheered off a bolt off of the steering gear box, which is why it is hard to turn left because the whole steering box moves instead of turning the wheels.

Anyways my plan to correct this problem is to put in a new steering gear box and new drag link, since the drag link bar has alot of slop and play into it.

My question is.....When i replace the steering gear box do i correct the steering wheel so that it is straight, then put on the new steering box? Or do i put on the box the way the wheel sits then adjust the drag link so that the wheel is straight? I read on numerous write ups that your not supposed to move the steering wheel with the steering box off otherwise it can damage the clockspring/airbag. Any input on this subject would be helpful since i have never replaces a steering box yet.

#2 ·
I've never replaced one myself, but you adjust the steering wheel angle at the tie rod adjusting sleeve that connects the Pittman arm to the drag link. The drag link side will be a left hand thread

#3 ·
just center the stearing wheel and dont let it turn when the old box is removed. the new box should be close to center right in the box. there is 4 keyed splines on the pitman arm so it will b obvious where to line that up cause it will be off 90 degrees one way or the other if ur wrong. then just make your final adjusments with the adjusting sleve on the drag link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.