pretty bad ABS problem on pre march 99 powerstroke f250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pretty bad ABS problem on pre march 99 powerstroke f250

whats up everyone, I bought this truck about 4 months ago and since I have had it, when I have to brake fast because of traffic or something the abs is pushing the brake back up and keeping it from slowing down! it wasn't that big of a problem until this weekend when I put a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires on it. now it is very unsafe to drive. right after I did the lift I think the sensor on the back axle was dirty mabe because the abs light was on for a day or so and the speedometer was intermittent but now the speedometer is working and the abs light is off and its back to being near impossible to stop when applying more than normal pressure. anyone know a solution for it? a good temp fix would be to just disable the abs by its self until I can get it working right as its my only daily driver! I tried disconnecting the vacuum lines for the abs to the front calipers thinking mabe that would disable it for now but I drove it a little bit after that and its still working lol ive never had this much trouble making something not work! also my truck is front abs only. thanks ahead for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

anyone? I still havnt figured anything out
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Premium Member

Those vaccum lines were for your 4x4 auto hubs.... but anyway..

On these trucks, the value for your speedo come from the ABS system, that's why you are having problems with both, you can pull the fuse... its #23 I think, but youll lose the speedo and ABS together.

A good scanner like auto enginuity will tell you what ABS code you've got and where to start.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the reply, I just did some more research and saw a post about an explorer or something like that doing the same thing where u give the brakes any kind of pressure and it resists the pressure and his solution was changing the hub bearings! doesn't make since to me but I don't know much about abs lol
Another post I saw said that you can disable only the abs by removing the 60 amp fuse under the hood for the abs without loosing the speedometer so ill give that a try tomorrow. ive never liked abs on anything but this being messed up to the point where im about to run over someone in a Honda seals the deal!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i would say almost for sure u have a bad front wheel bearing, the abs sensor is in the bearing hub itself and a little play or corrosion can cause it to act like that. if u coast and let go of the wheel and hit the brake it should pull the wheel to one side just a little, the bad bearing will be the opposite of the direction the wheel turns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.