Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

pretty bad ABS problem on pre march 99 powerstroke f250

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  yooper906 
#1 ·
whats up everyone, I bought this truck about 4 months ago and since I have had it, when I have to brake fast because of traffic or something the abs is pushing the brake back up and keeping it from slowing down! it wasn't that big of a problem until this weekend when I put a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires on it. now it is very unsafe to drive. right after I did the lift I think the sensor on the back axle was dirty mabe because the abs light was on for a day or so and the speedometer was intermittent but now the speedometer is working and the abs light is off and its back to being near impossible to stop when applying more than normal pressure. anyone know a solution for it? a good temp fix would be to just disable the abs by its self until I can get it working right as its my only daily driver! I tried disconnecting the vacuum lines for the abs to the front calipers thinking mabe that would disable it for now but I drove it a little bit after that and its still working lol ive never had this much trouble making something not work! also my truck is front abs only. thanks ahead for the input!

#3 ·
Those vaccum lines were for your 4x4 auto hubs.... but anyway..

On these trucks, the value for your speedo come from the ABS system, that's why you are having problems with both, you can pull the fuse... its #23 I think, but youll lose the speedo and ABS together.

A good scanner like auto enginuity will tell you what ABS code you've got and where to start.

#4 ·
thanks for the reply, I just did some more research and saw a post about an explorer or something like that doing the same thing where u give the brakes any kind of pressure and it resists the pressure and his solution was changing the hub bearings! doesn't make since to me but I don't know much about abs lol
Another post I saw said that you can disable only the abs by removing the 60 amp fuse under the hood for the abs without loosing the speedometer so ill give that a try tomorrow. ive never liked abs on anything but this being messed up to the point where im about to run over someone in a Honda seals the deal!

#5 ·
i would say almost for sure u have a bad front wheel bearing, the abs sensor is in the bearing hub itself and a little play or corrosion can cause it to act like that. if u coast and let go of the wheel and hit the brake it should pull the wheel to one side just a little, the bad bearing will be the opposite of the direction the wheel turns

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.