Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

e99 overheating

817 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bob harris 
#1 ·
The wife was driving my truck the other day and said the oil/temp light came on. After she got off work and drove it home (10 miles) she said it didn't come back on. Then a few days later I was driving it running some errands when I noticed the check lights on and the temp gauge maxed out. After letting it cool down I noticed their was no coolant in the reservoir and there was some seepage around the thermostat housing that looked like came from around the hose end. So I decided to swap out the thermostat and let her take it to work. She said all was well when she got their and then again back home. But I don't think it had reached full operating temp yet in that short distance. I am hoping the thermostat was the problem but what else could it be? Where did all the coolant go? I put 2 gallons in and it still needs more.

#2 ·
update:
Stopped by Ford this morning for more antifreeze. After putting that and a gallon of deionizd water in I fired it up then found it leaking out around the water pump. Does this mean the pump is going out?
So the plan is to buy a NEW pump from Advanced as well as 4 gallons of FleetCharge. New hoses from NAPA (they sell a hose / serpentine belt kit for $70 that routes the upper hose around the serpentine belt to the right of alternator. I am going to flush the system a few times with tap water, then again a couple time with deionized before adding the 4 fleetcharge gallons then top off with more water. Does this sound like a good plan?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.