Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cackle loss of power

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  r_marczak_83 
#1 ·
I was wondering what you guys think about the Riff Raff FRX? The reason why I ask is because for about the past few months I've been having problems with cackle and a little loss of power on the bottom end. From what I've been reading it seems to be the #8 injector not getting enough fuel. When the engine doesn't have the knock it seems to run like a champ. So if you guys have any suggestions please tell me. FYI Im kinda on a budget.

#2 ·
Not sure what you mean by "Cackle" is this only while towing, unloaded etc........? If I were you I would want some live data logging while it is doing this to see what is really going on. If you don't know anyone with AE try posting a thread asking for someone in your area that might be willing to scan it for you. You don't give us any real info on your truck so how about filling out your signature with everything you have done to your truck. That way when my crystal ball is out of range I can have a better idea of what might be going on. NO, I don't think #8 injector has anything to do with what you are seeing. Check the UVC harness connections on each side where they attach to the main wiring harness on the valley side of each valve cover, look for loose or burnt terminals, this is one of the biggest cures for a miss or low on power type conditions.

#3 ·
It seems to be under load. I've had a diesel Mechanic just put in a new fuel pump and also cleaned the filters and the tank. He said everything is great with my truck. I'm beginning to thinks its #8 injector getting starved because its sounds exactly like that. I've heard that these trucks have a problem with deadheading.

#4 ·
just put a frx on my buddys truck. it is a good piece. install will be easier if their is two people. really quieted his truck down. no injector noise/cackle
i took his extra gold fuel pressure spring (62-65 psi) and put it on my truck and it really smoothed the idle and kept fuel pressure up at WOT. but eventually ill get the frx.

it tells you to use vicegrips to get the fittings out if you dont have the right sockets.

get the right sockets. the front fitting is next to impossible to get out without the sockets.

luckily we found a 5/16 8 point socket that made getting the fittings out a breeze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.