Rough idle, engine light on but no DTC's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough idle, engine light on but no DTC's

Good morning everyone! I have an 02 F-350 with 146K miles on the awesome 7.3L and I am having some issues. It is idling rough and the engine light is on but my code reader and the one at Oreilly's are both saying that there are no codes. it idles rough and lacks power but does start and run every time so far.

I have the Edge juice with attitude and have eliminated that from the loop so I am back to fully stock other than my BD Diesel exhaust brake and my turbo cool down timer. I have replaced the ICP sensor and that did not fix the problem. I have changed the oil and fuel filter and this did not change anything, not that I thought it would but it needed it anyway...

I am leaning toward the IPR but also I came to a light and stopped and the engine light went away and it was idling great until I went to take off and it started running like crap again and the engine light came on again. I was also sitting in my driveway and started it and the light was off and it was idling fine until I reved it up. This leads me to believe that it may be that under the valve cover connection coming loose and when I get on the throttle it wiggles enough that the connection is intermittent.

I have already put $300 in it and my plan now is to pull the valve covers and check these connections as that will be free except for my time and if this is not it then I was thinking of buying the IPR rebuild kit and hope that is not the electromagnetic sensor that is on it.

I would greatly appreciate any advise here, am I doing things in the right order here? Has anyone else had this issue? what was the fix for you guys?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The right order is,,,, to pull the codes that are Certainly present and go from there

I suspect neither your code reader, and the one at any parts store for Sure, aren't up to the task. You need a professional diagnostic tool to retrieve codes from our trucks (we are Not, specifically, OBD-II). So, either take it somewhere that has that kind of equipment or invest in an AutoEnginuity (@$350) for yourself.

As for the UVCH plug, it's certainly worth a shot and won't cost you anything to find out. Take it apart and examine the connection pins carefully.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

As already said, STOP!!!!!! Don't throw expensive parts at it, if the light is on you have stored codes until you are cleared. The Free Scans at Junk Auto won't read your truck because our trucks aren't OBDII compliant. You must have a scan gauge with the Ford Bundle in order to read them. If you are close to Mount Airy, I will scan them for you for FREE.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I appreciate that but I dropped it off at Ford this morning so we will see what happens. I think, in that video, that he checks the temp of the exhaust manifolds and one is cooler than the other... I did that last night and had the same thing... not as severe though, mine does run and I had 200 on one and about 148 on the other....But he also says that I would be able to get a code on a cheap scanner if that is the issue?? I appreaciate the help guys and will let you know what they come back with.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Yeah...your cheap scanner should have at least picked up a generic code like p1316, for an IDM issue. You would need the AE, or similar, to get deeper into the sytem to figure out the exact problem. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

I have never seen a cheap or FREE scan ever read a PSD. Not even the so called "generic codes" . YMMV..............................?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok guys, scan is done and it pointed to the injector harness. My question to you guys is this; it only showed an issue on cylinder 5 and if this is the case do you think that this could be the typical unplugging of this harness or is it just going bad. I am going to tear into it today but just curious. Seems to me that if it was just unplugging it would be all 4 cylinders on that side.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What can happen is, because it's actually HiVoltage AC going through those pins, once a bad connection starts it can deteriorate the metal as it arcs & burns. So, yes, that starting of a loose connection can kill just one injector at first.

You might have good connectors and the problem be on the outside wiring too. Or even the IDM itself can be dieing. Start with a good examination of the UVCH plug first though (plus, that's Free )
Old 09-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK guys, I pulled the valve cover off and to my relief I saw that the plug was just loose. I took it off and looked at it and it was in good shape. I plugged it back in and did the quarter trick. I put it all back together and it ran great. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I would have replaced the uvch both in the video and on daylans truck , for the price of an oem harness ,not the cheap dorman crap, its not an easy job to pull a valve cover. in fact i would have replaced the injector o rings and glow plugs if it has been at least 50k since it was off . thats just me, i call it preventative maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.