Exhaust Noise?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Noise??

Heard a strange noise coming from the exhaust of my Excursion. I started it up and was letting it warm up (outside temp. was 36 degrees), I got out to put something in the back and heard a noise coming from the exhaust. It sounded like compressed air was shooting out of the exhaust. I got back in pushed the pedal a couple of times and checked it again and it sounded normal.

The only mod I have done was to install an adjustable icp mod (10K, 18K & 35K I think) about a month ago. I've been running it on 18k most of the time, in-town driving & no towing. Lately, I've been noticing more exhaust fumes when driving with a window down, I didn't notice the fumes as much before. After installing the mod, the "SES" light came on and the code is 1211. I did visual inspection of the exhaust system(stock) and I didn't see any leaks. Anyone ever heard this sound from an exhaust before? Also, should I be worried about the code? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Also, before I installed the mod, an 0-ring in the high-pressure oil pump went out while I was on a trip, I had it repaired at a Ford dealership. They changed the oil at that time and I have noticed any further leaks. Could this have anything to do with the 1211 code? Could I still be having a problem with the pump?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:38 PM
The Fat Mod

Not sure what that code is, the noise could have been the change in sound due to your warm up valve closing. Since it was colder that morning, your truck could have closed it to build heat faster. I will make your exhaust noise a little different, and when you hit the gas pedal, I am sure it went back to normal and took it out of "warm up mode."
Old 10-22-2006, 07:23 PM

Didn't know I had a warm up valve, that makes sense, it definately sounded like something was closed. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Desert Storm Vet

Send a message via Yahoo to dercody
code 1211 is, ICP not controllable, pressure above below desired, have no idea what that means, i just downloaded the codes from google
Old 01-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 99 F-250 psd, and I hear the same noise when the truck isnt completely warmed up yet in the colder months, truck has 125,000 on it, with superchips programmer and 4" sraight piped exhaust, sounds like wind is blowing out of the exhaust
Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Loud hissing? Yes... EBPV closing to help "load" the engine and warm it up. Also notice that the idle is elevated and as soon as you hit the brake pedal (to take it out of park) it stops and the idle goes back to normal.

The SES light is common one from a chip or 5,10,18k mod. That's how the 10k in particular works, it tricks your PCM into thinking it has low ICP and bumps up the oil pressure. Another SES light that is common after a chip or K mod is an overboost light that will illuminated after reaching psi's of 22-24 and then go away between 1 min or the next time you restart your truck.

Neither of which are to worry about. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.