Grinding in Front @ 22K Miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 08:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Grinding in Front @ 22K Miles

I went to the dump to throw some trash away. It was real muddy so I put it in 4 low. When I left the dump I put the truck in 2wd & backed up 15 feet to disengage the hubs. I then drove home & parked the truck. The next time I drove the truck the ABS light was on. I did not make a big deal about the light & drove the truck to work (25 miles each way). I almost made it home & noticed a squeaking sound. I thought it was the Nissan next to me & kept driving. I went about 1 mile & it started grinding & pulling to the right. So I pulled over & crawled under the truck to see what was going on. No sign of failure so I got back into the truck & limped it 2 miles home. I jacked the truck up & checked for play in the wheel. It has play top to bottom but not very much. I pulled the wheel off & the caliper/rotor looked fine. I removed the locking hub & spun the wheel & it still makes a grinding noise from the center of the hub. My truck only has 22,000 miles. I am unsure what has failed but it seems like premature failure to me. A mechanic said the hub assembly went bad & itís around $1300 to fix. What do you guys think?
Thanks, Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

If the noise is coming from the hub itself it is Hub bearings, and $1300 is mighty steep!!! Could be something got in there. I would tear it down, clean and relube. This site will give you the how to

Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Page

NCH
Old 06-03-2008, 01:57 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ummmm where are you located?

It's the hub... been there done that - not bad at all.

Your ABS light is on probably because like mine it was being rubbed since the bearings gave way.

Before you pay someone to do it, consult with me and make sure you get your parts from Ford Parts and Ford Diesel Parts at Powerstroke Shop... best deal and comes with everything... they're about 200 cheaper then getting all of the same parts from your local dealership.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yep, that's what mine did too! Mine would grind and moan and then all the sudden go away for like 2 weeks, then at last the ABS light came on and the grinding stayed. Like Maintain said i would get FORD parts
Old 06-03-2008, 02:11 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your IP says your in COLORADO..... so guess I won't be doing it for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.