Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99 7.3 acting like it is starving for fuel. HELP

19K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  treemover 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I know... this same feed has popped in here numerous times. But I have yet to find the answer that I am looking for. The other day I came home from work, then ten minutes later realized I had forgotten to stop and buy a can of chew sl I went to get back into my truck and it wouldnt start. SO. to make a long story short. SOMETIMES the truck starts right up when its cold. Sometimes it takes a little while. When it does start it runs fine until the truck has been warmed up for about 10 minutes or so. Then, it bucks, jerk, and literally DUMPS blue smoke like there is no tomorrow. If you feather the throttle it kind of goes away. But not necessarily. I have changed the ICP, cam sensor, fuel filters, oil change, new batteries, all within this month. When I hook it up to my snap on scanner it never ever gives me an active code. Its always a stored code. And theyre always different. Mostly a turbo boost voltage code and something with the tranny. OH, when it starts bucking it will turn the overdrive off. Someone please please help me. I have had multiple people look at it, and we are all lost and confused. This truck means the world to me and I cannot stand seeing it as a driveway ornament. Thank you in advance.

#10 ·
Fuel pump is a motor. Motors dont like heat. Old motors especially dont like heat. When a fuel pump heats up, it acts up. It heats up from running. I know from experience with cars that when a fuel pump goes bad, it gives symptoms that are pretty obvious (similar to the ones you and I are experiencing). I am starting to go against the "common knowledge" that these trucks dont have fuel pump issues. I will be changing mine next week. Hopefully it fixes your problem and hopefully it fixes mine as well.

#7 ·
From the high pressure oil system. Where? Idk. Look for oil leaks.
You can also look in the fuel bowl for oil after it starts running badly. Key off of course.

#12 ·
You may look at sump in tank getting plugged. Debris may loosen after it sits and once you drive it, all the suction causes it to plug up again. I have had several trucks do this. The first one many years ago, I kept fighting it, then I heard about the fuel tank mod, fix the prob!! First thing I do when I add another one to the fleet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.