Auto 4x4 not working? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Auto 4x4 not working?

4x4 works when in the locked mode but when in auto if will bot kick in. Just had new tires and front wheel bearing installed on the drivers side and the tires was all around. Just wanted to try and get it fix before i forget and about it when the plow gets on in the winter!! Any help is great and would like to try and do it myself if it is simple? E-mail is best but i will try and check in often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkahler View Post
4x4 works when in the locked mode but when in auto if will bot kick in. Just had new tires and front wheel bearing installed on the drivers side and the tires was all around. Just wanted to try and get it fix before i forget and about it when the plow gets on in the winter!! Any help is great and would like to try and do it myself if it is simple? E-mail is best but i will try and check in often!
Either have a vacuum leak or vacuum solenoid not working. There are 2 or 3 seals on each side that could be causing the problem. The vacuum solenoid is on the passenger side fender behind the battery. Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:17 PM

Thats a place to start!!! Thanks
Old 05-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkahler View Post
Thats a place to start!!! Thanks
No problem. I would start by checking or replacing the vacuum solenoid. It is a little expensive but it only takes a few minutes to replace. It is about 4-6 hour job to replace all the vacuum seals, and if you do those you might as well replace all the ball joints.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
No problem. I would start by checking or replacing the vacuum solenoid. It is a little expensive but it only takes a few minutes to replace. It is about 4-6 hour job to replace all the vacuum seals, and if you do those you might as well replace all the ball joints.

If you do not have vacuum, you will be blowing air out of the defrost ONLY.

So unless thats happening I would start by checking the vacuum lines that go to the hubs for wear, cracks, tears, etc...
Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKER1 View Post
If you do not have vacuum, you will be blowing air out of the defrost ONLY.

So unless thats happening I would start by checking the vacuum lines that go to the hubs for wear, cracks, tears, etc...
Correct. Never thought of that.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Don't go replacing any solenoid!!! The vast majority of the time the ESOF system fails it is the vacuum connection on the back of the hub. This connection is simply a hose slipped over a nipple, not very secure to say the least. What will happen is the end of the hose will become dry and split, once vacuum is lost the hubs can't operate. Check these first!!! You probably knocked one off, or loose working on the front end, if it is split simply cut those back to where you have good hose and slip back over the nipple. Another place to check would be the pass side footwell there is a line in there that can get kicked loose. Does your ac, and heat only blow out the defrost, this will happen with a loss of vacuum, does the vacuum pump run all the time? It is located on the pass side fender well. Check what I have told you and let me know what you find. If you have no vacuum loss it is probably the seal in the hub itself.

NCH
Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Ok i was wrong i pushed one of the lines down a little and now all the air comes out the defrost and the pump runs all the time? Is that a dealer only item or can i get it at Advance or o'Reilys? It only runs out the defrost when the 4x4 switch is on? How so you take the pump off, it is on with some type of rubber push in things? Oh and the passenger side foot wall???? Where exactly is that connection.........I found a place where the lines go into a "Y" like thing along the front frame rale?

Last edited by wkahler; 05-27-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:22 PM
PIPE HITTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Don't go replacing any solenoid!!! The vast majority of the time the ESOF system fails it is the vacuum connection on the back of the hub. This connection is simply a hose slipped over a nipple, not very secure to say the least. What will happen is the end of the hose will become dry and split, once vacuum is lost the hubs can't operate. Check these first!!! You probably knocked one off, or loose working on the front end, if it is split simply cut those back to where you have good hose and slip back over the nipple. Another place to check would be the pass side footwell there is a line in there that can get kicked loose. Does your ac, and heat only blow out the defrost, this will happen with a loss of vacuum, does the vacuum pump run all the time? It is located on the pass side fender well. Check what I have told you and let me know what you find. If you have no vacuum loss it is probably the seal in the hub itself.

NCH

I had the same problem, and it was indeed the lines that go the hubs, once you get down there, it's easy to find, and easy to fix....
Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM

I just got through checking all the lines that i could find. I turned both directions and check all that i could see and followed them to the junction points. I am guessing it is more then the lines........waiting for help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.