Truck is acting all kinds of funny. Need Help ! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck is acting all kinds of funny. Need Help !

i have been having this intermittent problem for the past couple of months. When i start the truck first thing in the morning it starts up fine. if i only let it idle for a minute it will sometimes drive fine, other times it acts kind of like the ebpv is on even though i know it isn't like when it is 70 degrees outside and it goes back to normal after 5 minutes of driving. If i just let it idle for a while it will start idling really hard shaking and sputtering to the point it shuts down. if i don't catch it in time it is very difficult to restart. if i catch it in time or if i get it restarted i have to floor the pedal and it will barely hold 600rpm, shake, and blow white smoke like crazy. if i manage to get it rolling it will run rough, shift hard, and lug like im climbing a steep grade(its an automatic) if it makes it to fourth gear. then all of a sudden ten minutes later it gets its act together and runs just fine. it doesn't do this evertime either i would say this has happened about three times a month. it has already happened three times this week though. it just had the fuel filter replaced and it was in for the cam sensor recall which had no impact on how the truck ran. my local autozones obd2 scanner couldn't do my truck(2002 7.3L) so i am at a loss for what to do here. my livelyhood is dependent upon this truck so i need help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 10:31 PM

check your UVCH to make sure you don't one with a broken clip or something.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I say if your lively hood depends on it then get it scanned, a good through scan along with buzz and contribution test and other misc test should run around $75 or less at a good diesel shop or good Ford dealer. Does kinda sound like valve cover wiring issues though.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 AM

had to work today so i couldn't get a full check done, but i did get it scanned and found that it did not throw any codes.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what scanner was used some scanners dont work on our trucks
Old 05-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

There is a big differance between a code reader and a scanner.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 PM

it was just hooked up to a obd2 code reader. i don't know which type. the one at autozone didn't work. the second one did and it didn't show any codes being thrown. pardon my ignorance here with the terminology, i'm trying to learn as much as i can.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Terminology is pretty confusing and debatable, but a good scan can tell lots of info and find problems that a simple code read may miss, also it seems that the Powerstoke is not a standard OBDII system and some readers may or may not see any or all of the codes. A true scanner can read both active and historical faults plus live view several sensors and parameters to see what’s going on, plus do test like buzz tests and contribution tests.

Some issues will not even show up on a good scan, I have heard of intermittent issues, like valve cover wiring, not showing any codes or problems.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 AM

i took my truck into a land rover dealership shop that my brother works at so i could use his lift to change the oil and give the truck a look over. as it happens the truck threw a fit while trying to drive it off of the lift. this time we where unable to save it from dying. it gave up the ghost sitting sideways across the shop blocking three lifts. after an hour of trying multiple times to get it started we couldnt get it to do anything but crank and occasionaly fire for a few seconds. we had to jack the rear end up and get three guys to push to try to get it out. this morning another attempt to restart it was made. this attempt also failed. so now that it TKO'd my brother and several other rover mechanics are out there right now trying to figure it out. luckily my brother did a favor for a diesel guy who works for ford, and was able to call in his favor today. the diesel tech is going to stay with it and help until we get the situation figured out. at this point he seems to think either a relay took a dump or the cam position sensor was never replaced when the truck went in for recall.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A bad CPS will do alot of things. And for $23 it's a cheap fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.