Glow Plug Light On - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug Light On

I was in town doing some running and at my last stop when I started the truck the glow plug light never went out ( actually it came back on after it started). The truck started okay. When I got home I restarted the truck and the light was out. Anyone got any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

That is wierd I haven't heard of this. I would still check for stored codes, and I would put a multimeter on the GPR to make sure it is shutting off, the GP's shouldn't be charged for more than a couple minutes, less in warmer weather.
NCH
Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 AM

The only code I had was an overboost on circuit a. I had a diablo predator installed at the time of the light coming on. I removed it and havent had any problem. The other thing is that in October after I installed the programmer I lost a glow plug relay. Just thought it was normal use at the time. But then I took it out and reinstalled it about a month ago and lost another relay about a week later. Now this. It sure seems that when I install that programmer it affects my glow plug system. But I cant neccesarilly prove it. But now its out untill I try something else. I have a flashpaq I think I am gonna try.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
That is wierd I haven't heard of this. I would still check for stored codes, and I would put a multimeter on the GPR to make sure it is shutting off, the GP's shouldn't be charged for more than a couple minutes, less in warmer weather.
NCH
I talked with Diablo today and they said I needed to update the programmer. It could definitley cause the problem with the light. I am guessing that the relays were just a fluke by the way they failed ( coil still good and contacts not switching). Thanks for the help Hornet
Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I have gone to diablos website and updated two different predators. Its easy and free to do. All you have to get is a cable to hook the predator to your computer and a power supply if you don’t have a computer you can take to your truck. Its also nice to have this stuff because with it you can download the predator diagnostic software and run trend recorders on the various sensors and signals in your truck. The predator is a very good programmer and a great diagnostic tool. I have never had any trouble with it except for when I tried to load it in a truck that already had a chip that the owner didn’t know about. The wait to start light has no direct connection with the glow plug system, it comes from the computer and will normally turn off way before the glow plugs do. There must be something strange going on inside the computer for the light to be coming on by itself. I’d definitely try the update first, last time I checked there were 4 programs that could be used in the predator, something like a tow, eco, extreme, high altitude.

Also to rule out whether or not the computer is commanding the GPR to be on when the light comes on you could rig up a light to the GPR you can watch in the cab to see when it is on, I can usually tell by watching my battery gauge.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
Also to rule out whether or not the computer is commanding the GPR to be on when the light comes on you could rig up a light to the GPR you can watch in the cab to see when it is on, I can usually tell by watching my battery gauge.
This must be the LED mod I read something about on here. I couldn't quite recall what it was for and never did find the post again. I guess I need to search for it some more, I had forgotten about it till I read this. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 AM

Diablo had to email me the update. When I told them what rev I had already they said I couldnt download off their website. But they had it to me in about 2 minutes via email. Thats good info on watching the volt meter frog. I will try that if it happens again. First I need to go to radio shack and get the right cable. I also have a flashpaq to try. Any experience with one of those?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm a little late to the party, but I also experienced problems with a Diablo Predator. Several DTC's came up, one being a glow plug module relay. I also experienced hard starting hot or cold. i removed the Diablo and ran diagnostics with a Superchips and everything was clear. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chuck
2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 stock
Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRFOREST View Post
I'm a little late to the party, but I also experienced problems with a Diablo Predator. Several DTC's came up, one being a glow plug module relay. I also experienced hard starting hot or cold. i removed the Diablo and ran diagnostics with a Superchips and everything was clear. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chuck
2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 stock
My light has not came on like before since I updated the programmer. It sounds like it was a know problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.