my 7.3l diesel shut off. now it won't start at all - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my 7.3l diesel shut off. now it won't start at all

my brother-in-law's 7.3L diesel shut off and now it won't restart. think it might be something in the fuel system. maybe injectors? maybe relays? fuel flow not there. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

does the tach move when trying to crank?? if not, go to Ford dealer for a free CPS replacement to start.

if still won't start, watch to see if the "wait to start" light comes on. if not, you have a blow fuse.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldghamr View Post
does the tach move when trying to crank?? if not, go to Ford dealer for a free CPS replacement to start.

Depends on the year. Only the OBS does this.

if still won't start, watch to see if the "wait to start" light comes on. if not, you have a blow fuse.
I'm going to assume it is a 99-03 7.3 truck. Did he turn it off or did it shut off on its own?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Is there fuel in the tank. Just because the gauge says there is don't mean there is. I suggest you put 5-10 gallons in the tank and try to start up the truck. It may take a bit to prime the system. But it should fire after a few tries.

If this does not work then you need to check the fuel pump out. Scan for codes, your going to need to test the hpop as well. You will aslo need to test the idm too. So I suggest you get ahold of a diagnostic computer or someone with Auto enginuity. That way you can run tests and check for codes.

Also you may want to check the cps as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselqueen View Post
my brother-in-law's 7.3L diesel shut off and now it won't restart. think it might be something in the fuel system. maybe injectors? maybe relays? fuel flow not there. any suggestions?
more info...1994-95 7.3L. truck shutoff on its own. tachometer moves when cranked. acts like it wants to start. fuel not getting to all injectors.
Is there a relay or wiring problem to keep injectors from opening?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:21 PM

94? I say CPS. Mine was bad and my tach still moved.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The tach movement isn't valid after 2000, since this is a 94 my bet would be CPS, they are only $28 and you should have a spare anyway, I would change it and see if she starts, if not you have your spare. You really need to have it read for codes if this doesn't fix it. Not sure if a 94 is OBDII compliant. I know the 99-03's aren't. You really should try and post this in the OBS section you will get a better response.

NCH
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM

$28.00, or $128.00? I paid $132.xx for mine, but I got it from a dealer... Overpriced... Well maybe, but it still works, 4yrs later. I'm sure they're less now regardless where they come from.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
The tach movement isn't valid after 2000, since this is a 94 my bet would be CPS, they are only $28 and you should have a spare anyway, I would change it and see if she starts, if not you have your spare. You really need to have it read for codes if this doesn't fix it. Not sure if a 94 is OBDII compliant. I know the 99-03's aren't. You really should try and post this in the OBS section you will get a better response.

NCH
Then why would you plug AE into your OBDII port if it is not OBDII compliant? I have never understood this. OBD II is newer than OBDI so why would a 94 be OBDII and the 99-03 not?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

It's not the port that's OBDII, it is simply a connection, it is the computer language the two use to communicate with each other. You have been around diesel forums a long time, you know the fact that the generic scan tools from AZ, Advance etc.... don't work with our trucks without the specific software bundle for our trucks, this is because once a vehicle goes above a sepecific GVWR they don't have to be OBDII compliant, they can use their own codes and communication system in those vehicles. Our trucks fall into this catagory. How many times have you read posts where somebody argues they have no stored codes because the dude a pep boys checked it and said so, only to find out later that when a proper scan tool was used the codes were retrieved and pointed to the problem? When you buy the AE software, you must buy the one compatible with our trucks. I hope this helps.
NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.