Diesel shop says I need a new engine!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel shop says I need a new engine!!!

So, I am new to this forum and to diesels (except for the ones that we use to two aircraft). I recently bought a 7.3 2000 F-350 Dually with 335k miles on it (after talking to two of my buddies and doing extensive research and discovering that the mileage is nothing for this engine). So, the truck runs like a dream EXCEPT for the fact that if it sits for two days, I get a hard start. Also, when its cold, it idles like crap (smooths out when gas is pressed), and also it has a slight vibration at highway speeds (vibration is actually intermittent, almost like it cycles). Also, when it gets to less than 1/4 of a tank, it stumbles really bad.

Soo.....I check on this site and see all of this stuff about a CPS sensor. Called the dealer and they said it was already done. So, I take it to a diesel shop to get them to check the hard start and the vibration and they come back with I NEED A NEW ENGINE!!! They also tell me that I have 3 cylinders not firing, and I need new injectors, glow plugs, valve cover harness, heater relay, a few sensors, and some oil (oil is leaking from around dipstick tube housing and I already found the fix).

So, im thinking that diesels work a lot like turbine engines in aircraft (i work on aircraft for a living), and I also applied some common sense to this. If it was running on only 5 cylinders, wouldnt the truck run like sh*t? I just drove it like 300 miles on the highway and it ran awesome. Then he tells me that I have oil and fuel leaking from the passenger side cylinder and that its coming from the head gasket. Doesnt that mean the head gasket is blown? Wouldnt that make this truck run like sh*t? And finally, here's the kicker, he said that these engines are only good for about 300k miles and that mines is on its last leg.

Is he full of sh*t or what? Are my assumptions correct about the dead cylinders and the blown head gasket would make truck run like sh*t? He also said he got all this by running codes in computer, but the CEL was NOT on when I brought it in. If a diesel is anything like a gasser, the computer will only show old stored codes when the CEL is OFF, right? He also said that the injectors could not be rebuilt, and that there is more work to pulling injectors than glow plugs. I thought the injectors were right there under the valve covers and the work should be about the same, and not be more invasive.

Sorry for the long post but I am just baffled and dont know what I should believe. My original plan before taking it to this shop was to

1. Rebuild injectors
2. Replace valve cover harness
3. replace glow plugs
4. Do the fuel tank pickup mod

Anyone want to chime in on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
With a 7.3L that has any rough running problem ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS replace the CPS(motorcraft or international not off brand). They are one of the few weak spots on the 7.3 and they are only about 25 bucks to replace(Genuine Ford 7.3L Diesel Cam Position Sensor (CPS) - Blue) and they can cause some very weird erratic problems when they crap out. They go bad multiple times on the life of the engine especially at 300,000+ miles.

If that doesnt help i would check your fuel pressure because it sounds like your not getting optimal fuel pressure and its barely running. After 2 days its probably losing the prime and a possible weak fuel pump is struggling to start it after sitting.

Third test your glow plug relay and glow plugs(Troubleshooting GPR & GP's) After 300,000 miles chances are the relay has gone bad and thats the opportunity to swap to a stancor relay way better than OEM.

I would try those things first before i even started throwing the word injector out. With these trucks its always best to start with the cheapest easiest thing first before you start just throwing parts at it.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK...

Well steps in order

1. CPS sensore
2. Check fuel pressure
3. Glow plug relay

Any ideas on who makes a really good pump? I have dealt with GM my entire life and with those, the best is the ones from the dealership or walbro.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshaw301 View Post
Well steps in order

1. CPS sensore
2. Check fuel pressure
3. Glow plug relay

Any ideas on who makes a really good pump? I have dealt with GM my entire life and with those, the best is the ones from the dealership or walbro.
OEM Ford is about as best as you can get (Riffraff Diesel: Bosch Electric Fuel Pump) unless your running big fuel then you gotta go after market
Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Chapter Director

I have seen this (Ford Super Duty Pickup Truck Econoline VAN 7 3L V8 Diesel Electric Fuel Pump | eBay) and i think one member said he used it with good results but its much cheaper than the other one i linked but i cant say as to the quality. Im considering trying when my fuel pump dies.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ok,

1.you need to do the HUTCH mod..(truck stumbles REAL bad when 1/4 tank or lower). Thats the giveaway there.

2. Look up 50 cent mod

3. Take a gander here..Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Pages

4. find the values of the ohm test, on the injectors and glow plugs.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

heres some info...
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel shop says I need a new engine!!!-injectorholddownrockerbolts.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc GP & INJ OHM.doc (23.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow, Great info, love that website as well timmyboy.

Rammstein love your trucks, that white Ford is sweet!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjaddiction View Post
Wow, Great info, love that website as well timmyboy.

Rammstein love your trucks, that white Ford is sweet!
Yea i need an updated picture because i got rid of that stupid topper
Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Run far, far far away from that shop Forrest. Hehe

Injectors can't be rebuilt. Lol False

Only takes about an hour longer to replace injectors as it does glow plugs.

Your oil leak is Not the head gasket. Probably just oil/fuel in the intake valley. If its on the head itself, valve cover bolts may be loose.

I doubt your cps is bad too. You would most definitely notice your truck running on 5 cylinders. More than likely, those were stored codes and they weren't cleared after the said dealer replaced the cps. Since you know gassers, then you know that a V8 diesel on 5 cylinders will run just as bad as a similar gas engine.

X2 what they said about your glow plug system. Also, if it was not properly maintained, it is possible that it may need a few injectors. A buzz test will be a dead giveaway for that.

Sorry for the late post, but I tried last night and kept dropping my phone on my chest falling asleep. Lol. Work kicked my butt the last two days. 15hrs a day. :thumbdown:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.