Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil in ehaust pipe and smoking (long post)

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
Hello, I am a newbie to your forums but not to my truck. Have owned for the past 6 years. Has been a trouble free vehicle which is great. About 6mo ago I got tired of my EBPV staying on for quite a while after warm up and even under partial throttle. I had already changed the EBPV sensor pipe which had wholes in but didn't help so I disconnected the solenoid so it wouldn't operate. At that time I disconnected my crank case vent from my inlet pipe and ran a hose from the valve cover over towards the master cylinder and down below the framrail, even gave it a 45 degree cut to help let air going across it some pull. Anyway a couple of months ago, my truck started smoking profussely and noticed oil all the way back at in my tail pipe. Not being a dummy to turbos figured rear turbine seal let go. So got a kit with the 360 thrust and upgradded compressor wheel as my vehicle has compressor surge. Rebuilt turbo installed and about 2 months later started smoking again. Removed turbo and found turbine and exhaust soaked with oil again. Thinking rebuild didn't take tried the company that sold me the kit to no help. Inspected turbo and couldn't find anything wrong. A customer from my work let me use a take off turbo. So I installed my upgraded compressor wheel and installed on my truck. It leaked out my exhaust worse then my turbo. Thinking it may be an balance issue installed my stock compressor wheel back on my turbo and installed on my truck, which in turn was leaking just as bad as my test turbo. So started looking around through google and found some other members that talked about the turbo pedstal leaking. So wondering if the pedestal could leak internally I removed it and plugged the pressure port on one side and blew though it with compressed air and was getting air through the return side as well. So removed the plunger and drilled, tapped, and plugged the little pressure orfice as well as the shaft hole to delete the ebpv. I also removed the flap from the outlet housing. Reinstalled on my truck thinking I had found the problem and no stil leaking oil out of exhaust. So the other night I decided to hook up my crank case vent to my intake and didn't take more then a few minutes of running and loading up against convertor to tell that my oil leak was gone. My pedestal never showed signs of leakage externally. Just wanted to post this to help if antone else runsinto this and has modified their crankcase vent. I also think my ccv hose haed a slight kink in it but wouldn't have thought about it since when vehicle was idling could see blow by coming from hose.
Sorry for long post and thanks for listening
Jason

See less See more
#4 ·
LOL... did you even bother to read the post...

Blocks cracked...

There, if where just throwing **** out there...:hehe:

#3 ·
Just to make it clear, I'm not oil smoking or oil leaking any more since I recnnected my crankcase vent to factory. Also there was no oil residue or wtness in my exhaust prior to the turbo
Jason

#6 ·
Again apologize for it being such a long post and I do understand that some of the back story was useless info, but if you look up info for oil out your exhaust and smoking all of the info that comes up is turbine seals, turbo pedestal (ebpv style) injector o-rings lol. Nothing comes up about a inoperative crankcase vent. I was hoping that the info would be useful to someone else who may experience the same problem.
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.