Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Brand new oil leak above starter!

25K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ScottyP5947 
#1 ·
Well, looks like my truck caught this disease. Never a drop of oil, EVER and now I have a lot of oil dripping. Happened after doing the hutch mod, but that's co-incidental I think. :) I looked around and nothing jumped out at me, valley seems dry. So many threads on this, none of them with what the person with the trouble found!! I'm going to check the plugs on the back of the head but otherwise??

Thanks -
Scott

#2 ·
Check the O-ring to your oil-filler neck on the PS valve cover. That's how I solved my oily starter leak. Bob from Diesel O-Rings has everything you need.:thumb:

#4 ·
I'll take a look there, thanks for the leads. Just waiting to get under it while it's cool.
Scott

#6 ·
Well work got in the way and I didn't get to take a close look. Looks like the oil filler area is dry and from what I could see, it wasn't the turbo pedistal or the ebpv, seemed pretty dry up there. Wife's got the truck right now for an overnight trip out of town to her ma's house. I really expected it to be turbo o rings.
If not, I found the ford dealer sells ultra violet dye for 8.50 a bottle and we need two bottles to make it really glow. If the leak doesn't jump out and bite me then I'm getting some dye and using a blacklight at night to find the leak.
Thanks again for the suggestions -
Scott

#9 ·
Thanks again, all - I nailed it this afternoon, it was a plug in the top of the passenger side head under the glow plug relay. At first I thought it was the HPOP connection to the head but it was a little further up. I took a good look at it and found a river running down the intake to head gasket and it channeled it onto the back of the engine, down and onto the starter. That's how the valley was dry and I couldn't really see where it was coming from. At least now I know my EBPV rod isn't leaking much, nor are my turbo seals. :ford:

Scott P

Reactions: JMBorass
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.