HIDs with PHP tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HIDs with PHP tuner

Kind of a strange one fellas.

Bought a PHP Hydra and absolutely love it. One of the best things I bought for the rig. HOWEVER, I have 35w HID's in Recon projector headlights and sometimes when I turn my headlights on the ABS light will kick on and sometimes shut the truck off. Has anyone heard of this? Before I installed the Hydra chip I didn't have this issue. Not blaming PHP at all but just curious as what I need to do to fix it. Apparently some drivers I talked to had DP tuners and they too had an issue with the HID abruptly shutting off the truck. I really dont want to be rolling down the road and turn those on and have the truck shut off..... Thanks for any input guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't know if there's any relation, but I had a situation where my truck would shut off whenever I shut off my water injection. this started after I installed my PHP hydra.

I re-wired the relay for the water injection and it fixed the issue. I still have no idea what the issue actually was...something electrical...although I didn't change anything when I rewired the relay.

I'd check the wiring on the HIDs (maybe the relay has the wires switched and the resultant high current has only become an issue now that the php chip is there to call it an issue?).

If nothing else works, maybe try rewiring the HIDs? Could be a similar mystery gremlin as mine
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

This is an issue that has plagued chip manufacturers for years. Some chip designs seem to have more of an issue with interference than others, but it all seems to relate back to high current draw circuits introducing interference into the chip itself (either by linked circuits or by cable proximity) and causing the processor/logic to stall. In most cases it's a proximity issue and rerouting the cable will resolve the issue.

When we designed the Hydra Chip, we went to great lengths to test and shield for interference because of the issues we've seen with other chips. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first complaint we've had about interference with the chip and we will be taking a second look at the chip/cable design and see if there are any other areas where an improvement can be made.

If you have any further issues with interference, please contact us directly and we'll be happy to see what we can do to get the problem resolved for you.

Take care.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

Troponin, appreciate the input buddy. I will talk to PHP here within the next day or two and take a look at what I need to do to fix the issue. Thanks guys!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo3244 View Post
Kind of a strange one fellas.

Bought a PHP Hydra and absolutely love it. One of the best things I bought for the rig. HOWEVER, I have 35w HID's in Recon projector headlights and sometimes when I turn my headlights on the ABS light will kick on and sometimes shut the truck off. Has anyone heard of this? Before I installed the Hydra chip I didn't have this issue. Not blaming PHP at all but just curious as what I need to do to fix it. Apparently some drivers I talked to had DP tuners and they too had an issue with the HID abruptly shutting off the truck. I really dont want to be rolling down the road and turn those on and have the truck shut off..... Thanks for any input guys.

If the ABS light doesn't flicker and the truck doesn't shut itself off any other time EXCEPT when using the HIDs, then you have found the source of your electrical interference. Either eliminate the interference (cheap relays) or shield what is being interfered with. Funny thing is someone on another post had exact same issue with his DP Tuner & HIDs, and some idiot told him to get rid of the DP and get the PHP instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.