1999 Powerstroke - Be Gentle - I'm New - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down 1999 Powerstroke - Be Gentle - I'm New

I'm new to the board but looking for some advice. Here goes.

I'm a Kansas cattleman and know very little about diesel engines. I have a 1989 F-350 4x4 dulley with the 7.3 in it and it finally died a slow peaceful death. I'm looking to replace it with a 1999 F-350 4x4 dulley with a 7.3 powerstroke in it. My truck is used for feeding cattle in a 30 mile radius. In addition, I pull a gooseneck stock trailer with a gross weight of about 16k. I also pull a trailer hauling large round bales that will gross about 18k to 20k. No long distance hauling.

The F-350 I'm looking at has 156,000 on it and is a 5 speed extended cab with a haybed. My old 7.3 was never great on pulling power but I've been told the Powerstroke is much better. I'm not real concerned about fuel milage but I am about dependability. Since I can't work on em, that means shop time which isn't cheap.

I've also looked at a 1997 Dodge 3500 12valve that is about the same milage and money. I've had several people say I will be happier with the Cummings and have less problems than with the Powerstroke. Are there any particular problems with the 1999 Powerstroke that I should know about.

I'm looking for help and opinions as to the Powerstroke compared to the Cummings and the Powerstroke itself. All replies will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

i honestly think overall (the whole truck) you will be happier with the ford by a mile. The 7.3 only has two flaws. They tend to leak oil to some degree, but normally nothing that even causes the need to add oil......and they biggest thing is the Cam sensor failures. The cam sensor is EASY to replace and its usual sympton is the motor dies, and then will restart sometimes immediately and sometimes after a few minutes of sitting. Other than that, there are no real common problems with the 7.3....it is a tried and true workhorse!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
go with the ford u won't be dissapointed
Old 10-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thumbs up Go Four it

Michael,
I just bought a 99 F-350 4+4 Dually a few months ago.I couldn't be happier with it. Mine has 146,000 miles and I think it has had fairly good care. At this time I've only pulled a 22ft travel trailer and I hope to keep it out of the pasture. I have a gooseneck bale trailer and also a 6+20ft livestock trailer. If my other truck dies I know it won't have any trouble doing anything I tie on it. The cps sensor is not a concern as long as you have one in the glove box and the wrenches to switch it. Good luck on your choice.
99 Red Stroker
Old 10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BOth trucks have their problems. NDurbin (Nate) will vouche for the Dodge CUMMINS especially since he does similar work as you.

In this case, it really comes down to what brand you want, both trucks are good. With 150k on the clock there will be some parts that'll need replaced on the Ford AND the Dodge. I personally know that most of the repairs on the Ford can be done AT HOME with few/minor mechanical skills.

This is a FORD site, I'm sure the concensus will be go with ford, but post your same question here www.cumminsforum.com and then weigh your answers.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Even though I own a 3rd Gen Cummins, I would go with the Ford simply because you don't sound like you're wanting to build the truck for power. However should you need extra power you could just buy a chip for it and basically plug n go. The 12v Cummins is a mechanical engine and you would have to go a different and probably more expensive route to get more power. But with the 12v you don't have to worry about any electronic stuff bending you over when you need it least!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.