What are these wires for?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are these wires for??

I recieved my new Prodigy P3 the other day and I went ahead and started to installing it. While installing the Prodigy's wiring harness onto the vehicle specific harness I noticed some wires that were either cut or looked like they were added by one of the previous owners. As I looked at them more it seems to me that one of the previous owners had wired up a brake controller by way of these wires that I found versus using a vehicle specific harness and just plugging it in. So can anyone confirm my theory or give me any other possibilities?

In the first picture I found this plug just hanging in behind the dash with one of its wires cut. In the second picture it looks like the other side of that wire hanging out there cut off. Now should I reattatch these two wires? What is that plug supposed to be plugged into? If it doesn't get plugged in anywhere then what is it for?

The red (w/male spade connector), white, and black wires seem to be add? Does this seem logical?

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Is everything working as it should? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hank,

It's not that the controller doesn't work. Its that I don't like unknown wires just hanging out in my vehicles. Especially that plug that I have no idea what its for. As far as I know everything in the truck works, but it would just be nice to know what it is. Thats all.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Mike,
Went out and looked under my dash. The only thing I saw that resembled your plug with the cut wire was the plug in my brake controller which I broke loose from under the dash while looking!

I'd trace that red one to it's other end and see where it goes (hot wire for something I bet). My truck has had after market stereos, under-dash lights, XM radio, speakers, GPS, etc. just to name a few. Guess I'm just used to abandoned wires. Hope you get it figured out to your satisfaction. Have a good evening.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If everything works, i'd say nothing to worry about too. We all know that when we go to sell a vehicle, we aren't as meticulus(sp?) uninstalling it as we are installing it. It's easier to just cut them and take the unit, whatever it is.

Although I do understand wanting to know everything about the truck...Like Hank said, I would trace the wire to its origon, and go from there, anything else is just a guess.

later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.