Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo surge issue

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  jdereu 
#1 ·
Ok this is not your normal ww fix surge. It only does it when the tranny is 180+ and chip is on. Going say up a hill or under a load not building any boost is will boost up to like 7-10 psi then immediately let off and it will do that till I give it more throttle and it actually spools. I thought it was a ebpv but had that all gutted and it didn't fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 ·
Get a new compressor wheel bud. You will find a lot of guys running the "wicked wheel" as it is commonly referred to. The new wheel will get rid of your surge, slightly lower egts, and whistle a little more which is kinda neat. Took me about two hours to do in my garage! Cheers

#3 ·
are you getting 10 psi total?

or is you max boost higher?

#5 ·
21 psi is low.

do you have a standard ts chip?
with a stock compressor wheel you should be getting like 26, 28 psi.

#9 ·
Ok this is not your normal ww fix surge. It only does it when the tranny is 180+ and chip is on. Going say up a hill or under a load not building any boost is will boost up to like 7-10 psi then immediately let off and it will do that till I give it more throttle and it actually spools. I thought it was a ebpv but had that all gutted and it didn't fix it. Anyone have any ideas?
I wonder if your wastegate is opening under light throttle?

#11 ·
No idea why it would do it, but it just sounds odd that it'll build almost 11psi then drop immediately. I'd think for it to lose that much boost, the wastegate would be opening.

Have you pulled and plugged the red line?

#13 ·
#16 ·
From what I've read no, I've had mine unplugged since I bought the truck and my chip doesn't defuel. I'm sure if I run the turbo at high PSI consistantly it will eventually fail but I don't beat on my truck. It just spools quicker and has better response now - I'm willing to bet my wastegate is leaking a bit as well since I have 180k miles on her.

After a little research maybe my spring in the wastegate is becoming lose allowing it to open. Will this fix that potential issue (http://www.dieselsite.com/19995-2003ford73lpsdwastegatecontroller.aspx). No chance its the icp or ipr causing this issue correct?
This is possible but rather than throw money at it, might as well try the free options first. Remove the redline, take it for a ride and see if it still does it. You might want to look into the Torque Pro app with a bluetooth USB Adapter. Best $25 I've spent - you can monitor just about everything on the truck.

#15 ·
#18 ·
Pull the red line off the waste gate seemed to have fixed it. So since unplugging it fixed it what's my real issue?

#19 ·
Glad it solved your issue. For whatever reason your wastegate was being commanded to open and bleed off boost - weather it be from a tune your running or something else, hard to tell without a scanner hooked up.

#22 ·
are you still running the stock compressor wheel?
most chipped 7.3's with a stock wheel are going to get surge. if you havent addressed this then i would do this before worrying about other things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.