After Fueling (?) 2000 Ex 7.3L won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
After Fueling (?) 2000 Ex 7.3L won't start

Low fuel light was on for about 20 miles. Yea, I know I'm an idiot, but I'm a broke idiot as well.

I made a few stops before fueling, and it started right up as usual. The first time I stopped it after fueling, was when the "fun" began.

Put in key, turn to start, all normal dash lights come on, theft light is blinking normally (slow), and nothing... Can hear some clicking from the drivers side, engine compartment, firewall fusebox, and a brief whirring (motor sound) from in front of the drivers side battery (is that where the fuel pump is?).

Electrical is okay as far as I can tell, but fuel pump is not doing it's normal ~30 second pre start pump.
Opened fuel filter can, and it was full. I then drained it

1. Disconnected the negative cables (hoping for a reboot), and cleaned them up, to no avail...

2.Tried the fuel shutoff switch on passenger side, to no avail...

3.Tried two different, newer sets of ignition keys, to no avail...

What is my next plan of attack?

Maybe the fuel pump fuse, or pump itself ??

Thanks for any help,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Did you run out of fuel before filling up. If so it may take some cranking to get it to fire back up. As you have to prime the injectors.

The fuel pump is located on the Driverside Frame Rail near the driverside front door. The whining noise could have been the fuel pump. There is a relay for the fuel pump I believe it is located in the fuze box under the hood on the driverside fender. There may also be a fuze in the cab of the truck in the fuze panel. Also there is a fuel pump reset button on the passenger side under the dash behind the kick panel.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Didn't run it dry.

The motor is not cranking at all. Turn the key, and get nothing. Not even a solenoid chatter.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If it were me I’d start by checking the batteries then the starter solenoid on the fender then the starter, the fuel system shouldn’t have anything to do with the cranking system. With a volt meter and a friend to turn the key you should be able to find it in a few minutes unless it is computer/theft related.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnedin82 View Post
Didn't run it dry.

The motor is not cranking at all. Turn the key, and get nothing. Not even a solenoid chatter.
Ok I thought it was cranking but not firing.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All the dash light stay on. The WTS light is also working. Tried moving the gear selector around, even while holding the ignition key in the on position, with no luck (I have an '89 F350 that does this occasionally). The vehicle is parked on a flat surface, wheels are straight.

Should I look under the steering column fuse box first, or the driver's side engine compartment for a bad fuse(s)?

Are there any fuse box "diagrams" online explaining the configuration, and what the fuses go to?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Emergency Services

you can try running a wire from the positive on the batt to the solenoid on the starter to rule out the starter or the electrical system, just be sure you dont arc on any grounds
Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
If it were me I’d start by checking the batteries then the starter solenoid on the fender then the starter, the fuel system shouldn’t have anything to do with the cranking system. With a volt meter and a friend to turn the key you should be able to find it in a few minutes unless it is computer/theft related.

I can start the Ex by jumping the large terminals on the fenderwall solenoid, so I bought a new Motorcraft solenoid, and installed it, but it still does the same " no start" thing??? I can also jump the terminals in the new one (Hecho en Mexico).

Last edited by Damnedin82; 04-28-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If you can start it by jumping the large ones the next step would be to check and see if your getting both power and ground to the small ones before replacing anything. If no power and ground then trace back twords the computer and ignition switch and permissives.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Which small "ones" are you referring to? The solenoid has two large bolt post terminals, and one smaller one, that has the rubber push-on wire connector.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.