Burning oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Burning oil

Looking for someone with more experience then me to confirm the conclusion I have come to or point me in the right direction to find the real problem.

I have a 99.5 F250 with 160K miles. 25K miles ago I had cracked pistons I put in new standard sized pistons and rings. At the time it got new gaskets and O-rings all around including injector O-rings. The heads were sent to a machine shop and rebuilt as well. The truck has been running great since then.

A couple of weeks ago I went and did something that if my suspicious are correct was down right stupid. Like many diesel owners I got the itch to modify and since I had success with the previous problem I decided to "tweak" my turbo. What I did was I did the EBPV delete to include a new pedestal I also put in an ATS ported compressor shroud to solve a surging problem.

I wasn't satisfied with just solving the problem I thought it was a great Idea to also put a WW in it as well to see if I could really make that turbo scream. (and boy does it ever) In doing this I noticed a drop in boost about 1 psi. So I started messing with the two impellers; stock and WW. To see just how they would work one verses the other. Along the way I also decided to put in a Turbomaster waste gate actuator. I ended up pulling the turbo out and swapping the impellers 4 times. The last time I put it back together I had the stock impeller in it since I liked how that set up worked.

The first time I started the truck and then turned it off I heard a metal on metal "tinking" sound. It was the impeller hitting the compressor housing. I checked and found some play in the shaft. At the time I thought by messing around with the turbo I have gone and messed it up. Oh well I thought here is a good reason to do it right from the start and have the turbo rebuilt by a pro and have them put a WWII on it and balance it up nice and proper. Since the WW didn't hit the housing I put it back in making 5th time the turbo was pulled and impeller swapped.

Since I didn't have the money to do it right then I thought I would drive it for a while. As I always do before any trip over 50 miles I checked the oil and noticed it was about 1 1/2 qts. low. I thought nothing of it at the time. The next time I checked it I found it 3 qts low. I am burning about a qt of oil every 100 miles. I say burning because there is no evidence of an external oil leak. It has the customary blow by a 7.3 of it's age would have and I have some white smoke at idle. Also I have no loss of power.

Tomorrow I am going to pull an intercooler tube to see if I have any oil in it. I say any because I did the crank case vent mod a year ago and there should be no oil in the tubes.

My guess is the leak is in the turbo and I need a new or rebuilt one ASAP!!!! I am open to suggestions. Also I have access to an Auto Ingenuity scan tool. IF anyone thinks that will help diagnosing the problem. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would check fuel bowl, coolant, and exhaust or IC pipes.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checking the fuel bowl is a good call. I don't think the O-rings I put on the injectors were OEM and I hear that the wrong aftermarket O-rings can have a really short life. As far as the exhaust goes I'm not seeing any oil there. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow when I have the time to check.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked the coolant, intercooler pipes and exhaust. No oil in the coolant and intercooler pipes, and the end of the exhaust pipe is dry. The fuel bowl didn't look like it had any oil in it however the oil that's in the truck is new and not black when I pull the dip stick. The fuel filter looks a little darker than I expected it to look. The filter has about 12k miles on it. What exactly would I be looking for in the fuel bowl as evidence of oil in it?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 AM

The coolant bottle and fuel bowl would both have specks of oil floating since they do not mix.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked everything again to see if I was missing something. There defiantly is no oil in the coolant or the fuel bowl. I pulled the down pipe off the turbo and there is no oil inside. I checked the intercooler pipes again, both of them. On the pipe that goes from the turbo to the intercooler the inside is dry. On the pipe that runs from the intercooler to the intake manifold the inside had a lot of oil in it. Way more than previous times I have pulled the thing apart. Does this confirm my previous assessment?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Usually the pipe between the turbo and intercooler would be the oily one.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:46 AM

make sure that whatever wheels' installed, that, that the shaft IS protruding from the wheel about 3/16-1/4in. I had the same problem when installing my w.w.. It lasted a few weeks and BAM. Snapped the shaft...etc. Found out, the wheel wasnt "seated" correctly, thus, not seating the shaft with the 2 snap clips in place. It was just a matter of time.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM

so any resolution on this?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not yet. I have also discovered some oil in the coolant. The coolant was about 1/2 low so I added some when I did I found a very small amount of oil on the top. The coolant had been that low for quite some time. I plan on taking it to a diesel shop for further diagnoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.