Door Ajar Light Staying on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Door Ajar Light Staying on

I have an early 99 PSD, extended cab and the switch that controls the door light (in the cab and the dash light that says door ajar) isnt working. I assume it is the "finger" looking thing sticking out from the handle on the inside of the rear door.

It is noticeably harder to push in than the other side and it does not turn off the door chime or courtesy lights when i push it in. Has anyone else had problems with this?

I think something might just be bad with the sensor or the switch in the door but i just wanted to get some other opinions before i went popping off the rivets that hold the piece in.

Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Conservative and Proud

From experience it's the switch in the drivers door. But it sounds like you may have more issues than that with the door.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 PM

It's weird sometimes it works fine then others it will not shut off, i forgot to mention this is the driver door im talking about, the passenger one works fine (i assume, cant really test it) but the passenger sensor is smooth and works as it should

Is there a switch in the actual driver door? or is it just the one in the rear door that controls both?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM

spray all your latches with wd-40, switch is in with latching mechanism give them lots of spray
Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy View Post
spray all your latches with wd-40, switch is in with latching mechanism give them lots of spray
That will clean the latch but it will attract more dirt. The best thing to use is brake cleaner and then a dry lubricant on the door latch so you do not attract more dirt to cause the problem again.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 PM

i have been having the same problem i have a 2000 crew cab and when i let it sit overnight and drive it to work its fine but when i go to leave from work the door ajar light is on and the cab light is on the whole way home and the rest of the day if i go to drive any where. it seems like the computer resets or something over night because every morning i leave at 4:30 and the door ajar or cab lights are not on. in the morning i open the door a couple of times to start it and let it warm up and load stuff in but the door ajar light never stays on, till when i come home from work or go out to lunch.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 PM

The switch is accually inside the lock and if you take the door panel off you can get to it to take it out. It twists to get it out, kinda pain to do but can be done. Like bigcountry said use brake cleaner on it and I went ahead and sprayed it with PB blaster and seems to be working fine.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I had that issue. Marc told me to shoot about a half a can of brake cleaner all around the latch on each door. It'll run out the bottom harmlessly. It worked like a charm.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Thanks guys i appreciate it i will definitely try this tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:32 PM

Update: cleaned the sensors with brake cleaner and now it works like a charm!! thanks guys i really appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.