Died while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Died while driving

I was coming back home yesterday and the truck just died, no sputtering nothing. I was low on fuel but not enough to be out. Pulled into a driveway and after about 5 tries cranking it started. Pulled in to gas station and threw some fuel in. Started right up and died again. Same scenario, cranked a few times and started. Went back to work and then when I left work same thing, no start. After cranking again about 5 times started, made it home let it idle for about 20 min. This morning she started right up. Went to work no problems. Went to leave for lunch no start. Cranked about 5 time and she started. Came home thinking it was a bad CPS, had a spare put it in and no start after cranking about 8 times.... WTH... Suggestions please or does she need a trip to the stealership.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have personal experience with a bad CPS out of the box, so that could still be the culprit as the items you described are the normal symptoms for this. Doe you have access to any scan tools so we can get some more info on the truck?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 AM

No scan tools

What about the ICP or IPR? Could on of these be the culprit?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Ok I had another CPS and put it in (I had two spares) did not work. Pulled the plug from the ICP and had a decent amount of oil on it. Cleaned it out, sprayed and dried put back in...no start
Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You may have a bad IDM thats what im dealing with in my OBS. I thought i had a bad cps too but no dice. im gonna swap my super duty IDM in tonight to see if thats the culprit. You should find someone with a working IDM and swap it in yours real quick(3 or 4 bolts and 1 bolt on the connector) and see if that fixes the problem. IDMs are compatible from 94.5-03 7.3 just so you know
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Change icp if it has oil in it
Old 07-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer pyle View Post
Change icp if it has oil in it
Yes, even if this is not the culprit (which it could very well be) once they get oil in them they go bad quickly.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 PM

UPDATE- Pulled Codes and More. Help

Ok so you all read the post about the truck just died while driving. Did not have a scanner so paid to have it scanned. Here is what I got back....

Scanned for codes- P0284, P0603, P0477, P1211, P1275

Here is what they said.

Found central junction box faulty and cutting power supply to the PCM when warm (could this be from cranking the crap out of it trying to get it to start?)

Found ICP Sensor leaking through the connector(yeah I found this out yesterday when I pulled the plug off)

HPOP Max output about 900psi below specs (perhaps because of a bad IPR)

Here is what they said I need;

ICP
IPR
HPOP
Central Junction Box

Thoughts on this, what does each code mean... Little assistance please

Thanks
Old 07-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
RUN, don't walk, from those guys!

Find somebody who really knows these truck or take it to the dealership. These clowns are just looking-up the codes and wanting to replace Everything related.

Here's what it could also be;

284 from the grey CPS
603 from dead batteries or bad fuesible link connections
477 from EBPV tube carboned-up
1211 from the bullydogs programming
1275 UVCH connection or maybe even the new CPS (not sure on the CPS with a 1275)

If they change the IPR/ICP/HPOP it might fix the problem because you've just acquired an entire HiPres Oil system!

I think, chances are, they don't know what their doing and are just throwing parts (on YOUR dime) to fix it. It's just not possible you need ALL that.

When it dies you can unplug the ICP, as a Test, and the PCM will set a default value for the IPR to run with. If just unplugging makes it start, it was the ICP. You can remove and disassemble/clean the IPR to see if it fixes it before you buy another one (also check the plug for frayed wires or a lose "tin nut" that's allowing the coil to slide around). Look at the drivers side fenderwell top, next to the airbox, for a black cover (marked High Voltage or something) that is the transistion from the B+ to the fuseible links and a common failure point on an '02. ALL FOR FREE!

But, ultimately, if none of that has a problem, seek professional help from somebody else because those guys are gonna cost you because of their lack of 7.3 knowledge....
Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
RUN, don't walk, from those guys!

Find somebody who really knows these truck or take it to the dealership. These clowns are just looking-up the codes and wanting to replace Everything related.

Here's what it could also be;

284 from the grey CPS
603 from dead batteries or bad fuesible link connections
477 from EBPV tube carboned-up
1211 from the bullydogs programming
1275 UVCH connection or maybe even the new CPS (not sure on the CPS with a 1275)

If they change the IPR/ICP/HPOP it might fix the problem because you've just acquired an entire HiPres Oil system!

I think, chances are, they don't know what their doing and are just throwing parts (on YOUR dime) to fix it. It's just not possible you need ALL that.

When it dies you can unplug the ICP, as a Test, and the PCM will set a default value for the IPR to run with. If just unplugging makes it start, it was the ICP. You can remove and disassemble/clean the IPR to see if it fixes it before you buy another one (also check the plug for frayed wires or a lose "tin nut" that's allowing the coil to slide around). Look at the drivers side fenderwell top, next to the airbox, for a black cover (marked High Voltage or something) that is the transistion from the B+ to the fuseible links and a common failure point on an '02. ALL FOR FREE!

But, ultimately, if none of that has a problem, seek professional help from somebody else because those guys are gonna cost you because of their lack of 7.3 knowledge....
Great reply, thank you.

Yeah I when I looked at what they said I was a bit put off considering I was the one that told them what I thought the problem to be. Bummer is I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up as it would not start. Didn't even think about pulling the plug on the ICP.

Again thanks for the great reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.