A Different Starting Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A Different Starting Problem

Hello Powerstroke gurus! First I want to thank you for taking the time to read my post and assist if possible. I am military, stationed in Alaska, and If I dont get this fixed soon, Ill be SOL as my truck is too big to fit in most garages.

My truck has a wierd electrical problem I believe. First, and mainly it wont start. Not even the common starter solenoid click. When I turn the key on, I get all normal indications, guages, ding ding, etc. But then when I turn the key forward to start it, I get nothing. No click under the hood, no click at the starter. (Almost seems like it doesnt realize that its in park) For some reason though, the doors lock everytime I turn the key forward. I dont remember it doing that before.

Second, there are two relays, between the airbox and the pwr. dist. block that choose to randomly click back and forth, back and forth. It doesnt matter if the key is on, off, or out of it. Does anyone know what these relays are for?

Third, there is some sort of electrical switch/motor on the transfer case that tries to randomly engage/disengage, usually after I try to start it, then turn the key off, it trys quite a few times.

Again I want to thank you for your time. I have been reasearching all day, but everything I found pertains to no start with the relay/solenoid click.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Conservative and Proud

First lets get some specs on your rig, year etc...... Please.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oops sorry...

Its a 2001 F250
170k mi
Auto
Ex Cab short bed
wheel type odometer not digital (Ive read this determines wiring config sometimes)
Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

lets start with the starting problem......

Have you checked all your fuses??
There is a relay on the passanger side of the engine compartment. It is an actual starter relay mounted right by the battery on the backside of the fender. There is a wire going on it that is just "snapped" on....take it off and put a stab light on it with the other lead to ground. Have someone turn the key or position it so you can see it while you turn the key and see if it has power. If it does have power, then check the relay. One side is always hot. The other side should go hot when the key is turned (the big nuts)....check to make sure that is functioning. If you dont get power to the little wire, we need to check a different direction.....Let me know what your results are. There could be many things. Does everything seem to work when you turn the ignition switch (seems to get power to radio and such in "run"), etc
Old 10-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, so I checked a couple things.

I didnt see any fuses that are popped, and the glow plug relay seems to work as advertised.

However, I checked the starter relay like you said, and I have the 11.8V "excitor voltage" coming in on the small snapped on wire, and I have a solid live 12V sitting on one of the main terminals, but It doesn't connect that 12v signal to the other main terminal when I get that excitor voltage on the small wire. Can I assume at this point that the starter relay is toast? Also, where does this relay get its ground from? or does it need a ground?

Thanks alot fellas, I really appreciate your help!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Banned

sounds like a bad starter relay man!!! It grounds through the bolts that secure it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 AM

I know I'm a newb, but what bout the ignition switch on the bottom of the steering column under the column covers. Mine was doin the same thing, but when i turned the key everything would die and that's what it was. Just a suggestion.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:54 AM
The Fat Mod

to both of ya, Goleft and AKPwrStroke.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleft View Post
I know I'm a newb, but what bout the ignition switch on the bottom of the steering column under the column covers. Mine was doin the same thing, but when i turned the key everything would die and that's what it was. Just a suggestion.
Welcome to the forum man!!!

No, the ignition switch wouldnt cause the guy aboves problem because we know hes getting ignition power since the small wire that energizes the relay has power....But thanks for trying to give a hand, sometimes it takes many guys ideas before a problem gets figured out!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, so I had to move in the middle of all this, but now Im back to the truck.

The problem of it not trying to start I think was a combination of dead batteries and me being an idiot. After finding out that the starter relay gets its ground from securing it to the fender, I rebolted it to the fender! I still got the original crazy stuff that it was doing, until I hooked up some jumper cables to see if that helped. Then it started turning over slowly.
So, I went and bought two new batteries, and now it cranks plenty fast. However it still doesnt start. It seems like it tries to fire about every fifth revolution while cranking it. I turn the key forward to try to start it and get a crank crank crank crank crank fire crank crank crank crank fire etc. but its not hitting well enough to start it. Does this sound like it could be the CPS? I watched the guage while cranking and it will every once in awhile just barely jump (to maybe 50 rpms)
Im also really curious about the two relays that continuously click back and forth. They are right behind the air box, between the air box and the pwr distribution block. Does anyone know what these relays are?

Thanks again for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.