ECM Programming??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question ECM Programming???

I have a 2001 Ford F350 7.3 4x4 automatic.

My tranny was acting up really bad, it wasn't shifting correctly, wouldn't lockup the torque converter. I figured the tranny was going bad and I already had a rebuilt tranny, so I changed it.

The problems did not go away after the swap and I received an open circuit code. I took it to the auto electric and he checked all the lines and none had any issues. But he came up with the P1605 and told me the ecm was bad. I ordered another one from Ford with the exact number they say it needed.

But in the mean time, my truck needs to continue to run, that's how I make my living. So, I took the ecm out of my 99 (same truck, different year) and the tranny worked great.

Received the ecm today from the dealer. I installed it and it won't lockup the torque converter in 2nd and 3rd gear. As you can imagine, it heated my tranny up in no time flat.

I took it back to the dealer and they said I have to flash it to operate my truck correctly. I know people will argue with me, but I really don't see the use of that. Anyways, if that's suppose to cure the issue, then do it. They flashed the computer and as I thought, didn't change a thing.

Now that's the history and I hope its clear. Now my question.

Since the last ecm had this issue and this new one has the same issue. (Remember, the 99 ecm did not have issues)

Does Ford mess up on their programming? It really seems like its from this numbered ecm.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 AM
Premium Member

Is this the truck that's new to you? I'm curious to know if its behaving different than it used to, or it always acted funny.

I know there are some very different transmission tuning strategies with different PCM's. I had a 99 that stayed locked and engine braked down to 40ish mph. And my friends 01 won't lock untill highway speeds, and won't really engine brake.

I cannt give you the best answers, get in contact with one of the tuning companies, a few have regular posters on here Those guys know these PCM's in and out they wil be able to tell you what's going on. Know the PCM code as they will need to know that. It's a 4 digit, for example XLE4 and PMT1 are two well known ones.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info. Does your buddies 01 tranny heat up when he's towing?

This is my newest truck. I put 5k miles on it so far. But it does act different from when I bought it. The shifting was a little different from my 99, but not by much. Now the converter doesn't lockup in second or third unless I'm very easy on the throttle. Once locked, it will stay locked.

It would be great to get more info to get Ford to program it the way it's needed.

Do you have any company or screen names that I can get in contact with?
Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Jody at DPtuner is one I've delt with. He's a great guy, also one of the innovators back in the early days of 7.3 tuning as I understand it.

Justin is the forum member here for DP, he's very active, and friendly.

DP(and pretty well every other tunin company) can reflash your PCM to do whatever you want really, for probably cheaper than ford.

Thing is, if it didn't used to act like this you may have a sensor issue/mechanical , I've heard guys have great luck with Brian at BTS for giving diagnosis ideas over the phone.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Ok, I'll check that out. Thanks for the direction.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 PM

Today I spent the day at the Ford Dealer. The tech kept telling me nothing is wrong with my truck and the transmission is operating properly. I showed him what it was doing and he continued to tell me that's how the transmission is suppose to be.

So finally, I went home and picked up my 7k pound flatbed trailer. Took it back and put him in the truck with me again. This time he brought another tech with him.

We went around the block and I showed him that the torque converter was not locking up. Once again, he's telling me that's how its suppose to be. But he changed his story twice. First he said the torque converter will not lock up in 2nd and 3rd. Second he said it won't lock up in 1st and 2nd.

Then after a couple times around the block I kept asking him what the temp was (he had his laptop hooked up to the truck). He said 220. Then I asked, now are you going to finally agree that its over heating? He said yes. Finally! A Master Tech think they know everything and are never wrong!

Now they are going to waste more time tomorrow morning on checking the pressure to make sure their isn't any blockages. Which I already know their isn't. The transmission ran great with the other computer, no problems.

But since I have an aux trans cooler, they want to blame it. So tomorrow they will remove it and put it back to stock and test the pressure.

I am seriously loosing my faith in Ford.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Any other dealers local to you?

There are 3 in my area, the one in my town is beyond terrible. Oldy enough, one 15 minutes away is decent and its the same owners.

There is a third that's awesome, they know their stuff so you may just need to get one that's not so close minded.

My 99 doesn't lock in first, but in second if I give it over ~70% throttle it will lock.

It should also lock right around 40MPH....
Old 07-16-2013, 04:39 PM

Today the dealer did the flow check and seen that its good to go.

Now at this point, the Tech has changed his tune and finally coming around. He knows there isn't anything wrong with my transmission and the flow. I'm told he reported it to Ford and now waiting to see what they want to do. They were saying their is another computer for my truck with different settings, we'll see what happens.

Hopefully good news tomorrow and the truck back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.