2002 7.3L died while driving will not restart - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3L died while driving will not restart

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have searched my issue and I am confused on what it might be. Hopefully someone can help...

My wife started the truck (engine cold, 100 degree day) and drove about 5 miles. Everything seemed fine. She pulled into a parking lot and the engine died and would not restart. I arrived about 15 minutes later and the engine would crank, but would not fire. It seemed like it was not getting fuel. I could feel a vibration on the fuel filter/line when the ignition was turned on and the fuel pump kicked on. The fuel filter bowl had fuel in it as well. I checked the oil and it was low, but still on the dipstick. I added 3qts of oil and it brought the oil level into the bottom of the operating range. The HPOP reservoir was also low, so I refilled it. The truck still would not start. The dash oils pressure gauge would slightly move while cranking, but it was not in what I would call normal operating range. I sprayed some ether in the air box while cranking and the engine would fire but not stay running. When the engine fired on the ether, the oil pressure was in the "normal" range.

About 2 hours after the truck died, I had it towed home. When we got it home, I tried to start it agin but it would not start. About a half hour later I took my tuner/code reader out to check and see if I could pull a code off of the truck. I scanned for codes while the ignition was off and detected nothing. I turned the ignition on and tried to start the truck, and it fired up like nothing ever happened. I pulled the truck out of the driveway, turned around and parked back into the driveway. I checked for codes and got a code for an Exhaust Pressure Sensor. I cleared the code and it did not return. I cut the truck off and restarted several times and everything seemed fine. I took some pictures of some real time data from my code reader if that helps anyone. These were taken at idle, in park.

2002 7.3L died while driving will not restart-imageuploadedbyautoguide1373527929.340319.jpg
2002 7.3L died while driving will not restart-imageuploadedbyautoguide1373527942.926949.jpg
2002 7.3L died while driving will not restart-imageuploadedbyautoguide1373527955.519448.jpg
2002 7.3L died while driving will not restart-imageuploadedbyautoguide1373527969.124687.jpg

This picture below was taken at 1500 rpm, under no load.
2002 7.3L died while driving will not restart-imageuploadedbyautoguide1373527986.375447.jpg

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do you think it is an IPR, IPC, CPS, LPOP or something else?

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my bet is the CPS first(there cheap at ford), but check the ICP , and see if oil is in the connector.

LPOP is rare, not sure on the IPR
Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How would the sensors explain the low oil level in the HPOP reservoir? If I understand the function of the HPOP reservoir, it is only used to supply the injectors with oil until the LPOP builds pressure, is this correct? A Low oil level in the HPOP would cause a "cold" no start, not a "hot" no start, correct?

It seems to me that the engine died due to a sensor failure, but I also may have an underlying issue with the HPOP reservoir that has not shown its face yet. Any thoughts?

Are these sensors thought to be intermittent, or when they go bad are they just bad? It seems to me that when the engine warmed up, it quit and restarted when it cooled off.

I will pick up a CPS today.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas69 View Post
How would the sensors explain the low oil level in the HPOP reservoir?

it wouldnt.

If theres a way to "convert" those ms #'s to actual psi or to get an actual # for us lames to read, then probably get more help.

Symptom sounds like a CPS.

The hpop ALWAYS is full to "fire" the injectors, lpop feeding the hpop with oil at a specified psi amount..(40-ish).
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Idle values
INJ CTRL PRESSURE
3.32 MPa = 481 psi
3.25 MPa = 471 psi

INJ PULSE Width
2.82ms = 0.00282 seconds

1500 RPM No Load
INJ CRTL PRESSURE
4.3 MPa = 623 psi

INJ PULSE WIDTH
2.368ms = 0.002368 seconds

Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update....

Changed the CPS with a gray one from ford. Test drove it this morning and it drove great until the the engine warmed up to operating temperature. I accelerated out of a stop sign and the truck stumbled and died at about 5-10 mph and would not restart. The ICP plug is wet. The truck will not start with the ICP unplugged either. I do not get a code when the ICP is plugged in, but it will throw a P1280 when it is unplugged and you try to crank the motor.

The plug does appear to be oily as well and looks like it probably needs to be replaced at some point. Is the harness a dealer item? What is the harness called?

The scanner says that my injector control pressure is about 160 psi while it is trying to start after it dies. I believe this morning the truck was over 500 psi while it cranked and started.

As anyone seen a intermittent ICP that failed when the engine warmed up? Could I have an ICP that is going bad but I have another underlying issue? I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also got a code, P0470, for an exhaust pressure sensor. Would this be a a cause for this issue?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

a truck thats 13+ yrs old, cant expect the sensors to last forever. I know its not good practice to throw parts at her, but its what i did, to "eliminate"..(knock on wood), problems that sensors can give.

Sounds like you not only need an ICP, but an IPR as well. Remove the EBP sensor and tube and clean it out and/or replace as well...

The ICP harness is nothing more than a new plug with about 5in of wire, that you cut the old one out and solder/butt connector/crimp, the new wires to...found on ebay.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update. Ended up being a bad HPOP. Changed the ICP and IPR as well. Truck runs good now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.