dumb battery question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 06:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dumb battery question

Ok, this is probably really dumb, but.....

so I had both of my batteries out of the truck this weekend and they were sitting on the ground all weekend before I put them back in. As I was reinstalling them I connected the drivers side red cable to positive and the black cable to negative.
When I went to install the passenger side, the battery blanket was mounted so that the cables would line up with the red cable going to the negative and the black cable to positive. I thought that this couldn't be right so I changed the blanket around and hooked the red cable to the positive and the black cable to the negative post, the same as on the driver side.
Now the truck seems to start a little slower than it did before. Is it possible that I hooked up the passenger side battery backwards?
Thansk for the help to a newbie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rdkl Send a message via Yahoo to rdkl
Sounds like they are hooked up right. The batteries may have discharged some sitting on the ground. You should put a piece of wood under the batteries if they are sitting on the ground.

If its low voltage it should improve after the truck has been driven some for them to charge all the way back up. You can also put a charger on them.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:04 AM

yes i agree...the batteries should be put on a wooden board...i dont kno exactly why the lose some power sittin on the ground !!!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkl View Post
Sounds like they are hooked up right. The batteries may have discharged some sitting on the ground. You should put a piece of wood under the batteries if they are sitting on the ground.

If its low voltage it should improve after the truck has been driven some for them to charge all the way back up. You can also put a charger on them.
Batteries aren't like they were years ago. You can sit them directly on the floor and the won't discharge. Use to, the plates went all the way to the bas of the battery and that is why they discharged. Now the plates sit about a half inch off the bottom on spacers which keep the discharge from happening. Not that this matters any, just wanted to share some useless knowledge .
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 AM

make sure your terminals are clean and tight. even a little looseness may cause it to crank slower
Old 04-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

You have it wired right positive to positive negative to negative. These batteries are hooked up parallel so you still have 12 volts but you double your amps for startup
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Thank you all for your advice,

I cleaned the terminals with baking soda, wire brushed them off, tightened everything down and it seems like it is back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.