99 powerstroke f-350 dying on the highway??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow 99 powerstroke f-350 dying on the highway???

Hello everyone, I would just like to thank everyone in advance for any advise or help they provide.

I am a noob with diesels and I just bought my first one a few weeks ago for towing purposes

The truck is a 99 f-350 with the 7.3 and manual trans. I bought the truck and it had no issues whatsoever but since I have a double car enclosed trailer I figured it would be a good idea to go ahead and have an intake, exaust and chip thrown on at my local diesel performance shop.

After I got it back from the shop I can't make it anymore than 20 miles on the highway before the egt's start dropping and eventually the truck shuts off completely. I took it back and had them update the chip, check the injectors, replace the fuel pump, replace the fpr, and still does the same exact thing and I don't want to keep wasting money throwing parts at the thing because it isn't helping. When the truck dies, if i let it sit for about 5 mins it fires up and drives just fine for a few minutes then proceeds to die again. Over a 20 mile stretch it dies anywhere between 1-5 times the exact same thing everytime. It starts as a slight hesitation but within 1-2 mins of the hesitation it dies completely with egt's around 200 degrees

To me it seems like the chip is what is messing with it because before it never had this issue. It is an edge evolution cs dash mount just so you know, and I want to see if this is a common problem for anyone else?

Again thanks in advance for any help and Ideas, my shop just has no idea whats up and I need my truck to run asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh also the chip says its throwing code p0340 CMP sensor circut malfuntion and p1211 injector control pressure. I had the cam sensor replaced twice by the same shop with oem ford sensor and still nothing. I talked with them again today and we are wondering if there is a glitch in the chip that messed up the oem computer in the truck?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

take the chip out and see what it does.
they may have installed it incorrectly.

p1211 is injection pressure above/below desired.
thats just from the chip calling for higher oil pressure than stock
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just talked with the shop again and when they worked on it last they completely uninstalled the chip and diagnosed the problem with it off the truck
Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check your IPR. I was having a similar issue where my truck would just all of sudden die. At first I was able to restart right away but it eventually got worse. The coil on my IPR valve was opening up when it got hot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.