Please tell me I'm wrong! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please tell me I'm wrong!

Alright, so I think I've ignored my tranny long enough, er, well, it's forcing me not to ignore it anymore.

What are the symptoms of a TC lettin go?

What are the symptoms of the tranny lettin go?

Personally, I'd say it's the tranny, but after I rev it up high enough, she takes off like a bat outta hell, squeelin tires and all. So I think it might be the TC. But it also could be the forward clutches letting go and slipping real bad.

Here's what she's doin to me today. When I first left the house, I noticed it hesitated to go into drive. Didn't think anything of it, went to my buddies, (No dead stops in between) and everything was fine (I never floored it or anything). Backed down his yard, and when I went to pull away, I had to basically floor the throttle to get er moving (reverse acted fine, forward didn't), but once she got goin, she moved just fine. From the next dead stop I had to make, same thing. So I pulled over, and checked the t-oil, and it is at normal levels, although It's not as red as i thought it should have been. (I'm getting a bad feeling about this) and now when I got to where I was goin. the OD light is flashing (I know this says tranny, but I'm hoping it's just a TC, I don't have the 3k to put out right now)

Anybody have any ideas? I still have to drive home from here, and am also worried about doing some more damage to her.

Also, what is this tranny in? (4R100, right?) 250's 350's ect? the 7.3's the only one's that use this tranny?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 12:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to bignasty250
try replacing the tranny fluid my moms car slipped like it had a 2000 rpm stall and they replaced the fluid and it was fine, it didnt do it as bad as your saying but did it when it was cold
Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
sounds to me like when mine went out, first went the TC then everything else after.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Damn, I was hopin I was wrong. How long did you have milking it chase before it all went out on you? If I replace the TC and not the tranny to milk it more, that will make the new TC junk as well when I have to replace the tranny? Am I correct?

Tranny was flushed at 80k, 25k ago. Doubt changing it again would help.

Anyone know what other models ford used this tranny in? I know where there's another ex sittin, but I believe it's got the v-10

Last edited by 01excursion7.3; 04-06-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM

sounds like exactly what happened to a plow truck we were usin this winter. started to slip in drive, then have a harder time getting going, then eventually only worked in reverse. truck was a 99 with the 4r100. had to be sent out to be rebuilt again. i forget exactly what the boss said had to be done, but if i remember it was a valve that started everything, and everything went downhill form there. good luck with everything
Old 04-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Emergency Services

mine lasted for maybe about 500 miles, but i didnt let it crap completly out, just long enough to get all the parts. I believe ford uses the 4r100 on all f250s 99-03 also, I might be wrong but the v10 might work... but not the computers. Id have a shop look at it
Old 04-06-2008, 02:35 PM

we had a 99 and we had alot of trannie problems but most of them were the tc and every time is was the tc the o/d light flashed once we put a hd tc in it she worked fine but we had also rebuilt the trannie not to long before that
Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Anyone know what I'd be looking at for a replacement tranny?

I know alot of guys say either john wood, or BTS, but neither are close to me.

I'm either gonna look for a full replacement or maybe yank one out of the boneyard. Like I said, I don't have 3g's to be throwing around right now. On one hand money is a concern, On the other, I don't want to be doing another tranny in 25k miles.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Emergency Services

well i have about 5+ invested in mine... I would recomend buying one from those guys or doing it yourself, dont buy on ebay, there are alot of scams on there.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks cchase, way to take the wind outta my sails. LOL I e-mailed BTS and John wood for price quotes. Told them I was from the org, think it'll help at all? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.