Tranny Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny Issue (Updated w/New Direction)

Today I had my first transmission problem. I'm afraid it's a biggie, mainly because transmission are the part of a vehicle of which I have little/no understanding, and I am constantly reading of the horror stories on here.

I had it serviced a few weeks ago. It never gave any indication that there was a problem. I drove it home from work and parked it. A few minutes later, I started it back up and put it in drive. When I did, the rpm's bumped like they normally would when engaged, but when I pressed the accelerator, all it did was rev the engine. Reverse works just fine. If I rev it closer to 3000 rpm's it MIGHT crawl. When I say crawl, that's being generous with the speed.

I checked the fluid and it was fine. Any ideas of the damage, both to the transmission and my pocket book, that I may be looking at?

Last edited by WildRed; 07-04-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM

In my full panic mode, I didn't give any truck information detail. It's a 2001 F250 4x4 Auto.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM

Here is an odd update. I talked to the transmission shop where I had it towed, he said that they haven't found anything wrong with it. It's been driving ok.

Last edited by WildRed; 07-07-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:46 PM

The transmission shop says that they don't see any problems with the tranny. They feel like it is an engine problem. One possibility they mentioned was that my turbo had a problem, but I don't have a boost gauge to judge by.

Has anyone had an issue like this that turned out to be something other than the transmission?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 AM

When I talked to transmission shop, he said my truck felt "gutless". I think I ticked him off, because he might as well have insulted one of my kids. I must have taken it a little personal. I had set it back to stock so as not to possible mess up any code it might throw. After getting back in it and driving home, I don't think he has ever driven a 7.3. I might pull down a house, just not real fast.

My new hypothesis is an electrical issue. On the way home I noticed my overhead trip computer wasn't on. I stopped at the store and when I restarted it my airbag light came on. The only code it throws is the PCM Memory code (P0603, I think).

There are gremlins in my truck and I'm not sure how to find them.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same Problem as Wild Red

Wild Red, I've got a 2001 7.3L with exactly the same problem. First started this time last year after pulling camper to Colorado. Had 11 months with no events, then exactly the same thing happened this month, again after pulling. Spoke to transmission mechanic and he thinks it is a seal that is not expanding properly, which prevents tranny from locking into first gear. Would welcome anything you have learned or comments from someone who reads this and can help Wild Red and me out.

BTW, I've also had two odd warning lights which I have never had before: Check Engine and Overheating. Both lights came on for about 3-5 minutes and then went out never to return again. I had the repair shop put it on the computer to see if it would throw a code but nothing came of that.

Last edited by Dumas Demon; 07-09-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Additional information about problem
Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

what kinda miles do you guys have on your trucks.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've got about 174,000. Transmission has been properly serviced for life of vehicle. Has been flawless other than this transient problem.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

No tranny pro here, and I send out all my auto tranny work. But I've blown a few up in previous vehicles. So this time I had Woods build my tranny a while back. But if the tranny shop says they can't find a problem I would go to another. Sounds to me like bands are slipping and or solenoids aren't working. I've been stranded by a blown tranny. No forward gears but a perfect reverse=good pump no clutch bands in forward gears. Broke shafts too As for the gremilens in the electrical No clue? My only problem with my 01/130k miles, is the idiots at D.O.T. and all manufacturers that let all cars go to drive by wire!!!!!!! On my third or fourth f__n go pedal. and old one in the truck to limp home
Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 AM

@Dumas, so far I don't have any update. Both shops told me to just drive it until it shows a problem again, otherwise, they will be chasing ghosts trying to find the issue.

I've never wished something to go wrong with a vehicle, but I am about to pull my camper on vacation with the wife and 2 little girls. I would rather something strand me on this road by myself locally than 500 miles from home with the family.

@1BADTON, my truck rolled 200k miles this past weekend. I even pulled over to take and took a pic of the odometer when it happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.