Trouble towing...
Trouble having balls.... :doh:

Details:
1.) 2002 F350, ~165K miles
2.) just changed tranny fluid
3.) mods in Signature
4.) towing ~6.7K lb boat.

Symptoms:
1.) Loud noise, sounds like "noise", no whine, it sounds like a huge fan is blowing....hard to describe.
1.1) Loud noise is also noticeable when I put the pedal down when not towing.
2.) my Edge Juice is pulling out the tune.
3.) EGT's around 1000-1100 F (which is hotter than normal) and I can barely hold 65 mph going up hill...used to be able to hit it at 75 no problem.
4.) Turbo Surging pretty badly, I can hear it making a loud buzzing noise.
NOTE: symptoms 2,3,4 seem to only happen when towing.

Hypothesis:
Torque converter is going....

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#3 ·
I know I know, canned tunes are bad.

I want to know what the problem is, me taking the edge off isnt going to magically make everything all better.

#7 ·
I have been running this tuner since before you were even a member, pulling it off WILL NOT magically solve the aforementioned problems.

Also check the clamps see if one came loose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks, ill give it look and see.

#11 ·
heres a bump

#13 ·
if you have a loud whoosh sound you might be leaking boost.

whats your boost pressure?

torn boot, leaking up pipes.
mis-aligned manifold
any of these could cause a boost leak.

#14 ·
I dont think I can get my psi up above 15psi, which is definitely low. I have tomorrow off and I will check this out before the drinking commences :woot:

A bump...?

"Bump" gets the thread back into the pool on the homepage so it gets more views. Just a way to keep a thread from dieing <-- how do you spell that word?!

Thanks guys, HAPPY 4th!

#16 ·
Your going to loose some pressure when doing the test through your intake due to one or more slightly open intake/exhaust valves. But not much. The more details you gave and thinking about it more is sounds like your EBPV is going closed causing turbo noise/ loss of power. It is tied in with the EOT sensor. When it's cold it tells the EBPV to close until the oil gets warmed up. Maybe the EOTsensor is wiggin out. AE software will help you diagnose this much better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
So there is some soot buildup where the exhaust manifold hits the up pipe, right beneath the junction on both sides. Definitely an area where some pressure can be lost, are there gaskets in there that could have gone bad?

#20 ·
Truck will not exceed 15psi at WOT, EGT's hit 1200 F.
All boots look good.
Found soot beneath the donuts on both up pipes, right beneath the y pipe.

could that leak at the up pipes cause this much of a problem?
Maybe it is also combined with a partially stuck EBPV?

Truck doesnt seem to make the loud noise I was talking about (this is not the EBPV dumping, i can hold some boost) until its warmed up, ie, getting off the freeway I notice it.

#24 ·
Truck will not exceed 15psi at WOT, EGT's hit 1200 F.
Your hitting somewhat higher egts because higher rpm your injectors are dumping more fuel, but since your not getting boost/air flow its not pushing the exhaust out. But at WOT that's not that bad.

could that leak at the up pipes cause this much of a problem?
Maybe it is also combined with a partially stuck EBPV?

Yes

Truck doesnt seem to make the loud noise I was talking about (this is not the EBPV dumping, i can hold some boost) until its warmed up, ie, getting off the freeway I notice it.
Unplug the pedestal. If it still makes the noise the buy a used set of up pipes on here that are the bellowed style (no gaskets to wear out). Seen a guy has three sets on here. New they are $400+

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
What kind of turbo is on a 7.3? Isn't it just waste-gated? Could it be the waste-gate stuck open? Also, a leak between the manifolds and the turbo could very well create a big loss of boost. Maybe you should check into that waste-gate at the same time you get that pesky leak dealt with along with that EBPV. Anyone agree...?

#26 ·
Finally got around to it all.... Big leak at the collector in my drivers side up pipe (literally the pipe fell out of the collector when i pulled it out without loosening the clamp.)

EBPV was also partially stuck.

I replaced my up pipes with the IH bellowed up pipes, installed a highflow ebpv delete turbo outlet and pedestal, and also installed a wicked wheel 2, and deleted the Air Intake Heater (AIH).

The truck is running GOOD. Even made the tranny feel better. I ran it last night after it was all back together and pulled 23 PSI :) The new WW2 sounds awesome, and overall the truck sound much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.