99 charging issues! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 charging issues!

I have had the truck a few weeks and noticed that the battery indicator would flicker. I started looking it over and found someone had tapped a wire into the exciter wire on the alternator. The original wire is still connected, this extra wire was just spliced in. The spliced in wire ran into the cab of the truck, thru an inline fuse, and piggybacked onto an existing circuit in the fuse panel.
I disconnected it and all seemed well for a day or 2. The other day it wouldn't start and at first I assumed bad cables/poor connections at the terminals as they were slightly corroded. That wasn't the issue. Reconnected the spliced wire and sure enough, voltage came up just over 14 volts. Having felt that was the problem, I figured there must have been a good reason the wire was spliced as such. Today battery light is back on and it had near dead batteries. Jumped it and found that the main post of the alternator is only battery voltage (about 12.2) Double checked the spliced in wire and it's all good (I soldered and heat shrunk the connections) the fuses in that wire are good as well. Now it would almost seem like the alternator is bad, but that'd be a hell of a coincidence for it to go bad just after the last issue.
What's your guys opinions on where to start looking? I'm also concerned as to why it has that hokey spliced wire to begin with. My understanding is that you should have the main output of the alternator connected to the battery, and the 2 wires on the alt pigtail are one being an exciter wire connected to switched 12 volt while the other simply runs to the indicator lamp in the dash.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just checked the pigtail and the exciter wire is the full battery voltage going in but the other wire is at like 1.8 volts....Bad regulator??
Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's all fixed! Turns out the alternator was bad.
My thought is this:
Alternator was weak, wire got cut, batteries died.....fixed wire, alternator needed to recharge both batteries and was just pushed too hard and killed it. Recharged batteries using charger, installed new alternator, all good!!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
:thumbup:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.