Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

...Play and looseness in steering????

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  j_cyrus3 
#1 ·
I've got about 3in. of looseness and play in my steering wheel???? 2000, 250 has 215,000 miles on it so I'm sure this has a lot to do with it. Should I start with steering box and go down the lin to the steering arms or should I check the steering wheel shaft for wear???? If yes.... how in the hell do I do that???? :dunno: HELP, IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

:rod: MY STEERING

#4 ·
mine was doing that took it in they said upper and lower ball joints.it was expensive thats all i remember

#6 ·
did they replace your ball joints????

#5 ·
I'm also hearing a lot of shaking and rattleing when I go over a bump or bumps. I know the 3/4 tons are rough riding and all, but there sure seems to be alot of noise (rattleing) coming from under the front end. I just want to tighten things up, if possible, and try and get back what's been shook loose in the past 200k miles.

#7 · (Edited)
to check the steering box have a friend move the steering wheel very slowly until the freeplay is taken up back and forth while you are looking at the pitman arm and if it doesn't move then the steering box is loose, to adjust this you have to remove the air filter driverside battery and tray and intercooler to intake pipe, now on the top of the steering box there is an adjusting screw and lock nut it requires an allen wrench and if i remember right a 5/8 (16mm) wrench, back off the lock nut 1/2-1 turn then slowly turn the adjusting screw in till you feel it bottom, don't force it once it bottoms hold it there and lock the locknut, although it sounds complicated it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes i had to do this on my 04 f-350 at 80,000kilometers P.S. make sure your wheels are straight ahead when you do this

#8 ·
awsome... I think I'll check it out for sure. thanx

#9 ·
Did you put on an aftermarket drop pitman arm. If so you may need to tighten the nut up on the steering box. mine was loose and I had to torque it to 350 ft lbs.

#10 ·
i did the adjustment in my steering box but you should be able to see it on top of the steering box on your truck without removing anything. right off to the side of the battery box and intercooler pipe. it is easy to see with light. allen wrench and wrench is what you will need.

#15 ·
would the same apply for an 94 f-250. ive got 209,000 on it and i to have a lot of play in my wheel

#17 ·
I don't see why it wouldn't include the earlier models as well????

#16 ·
don't worry about the high jack it's cool. It still pretains to the original post, so no worries! As for the spring....... you got me???? But if it can have anything to do with the sloppiness in my steering then le-me-no...

#18 ·
hey cowboy mine is an 04 so i don't now if there is much difference and if not you would have to be a noodle armed choir boy to be able to get at it without removing anything.

#20 ·
Its really not that difficult to get too.

I used a deep socket when i did mine, and like 2 or 3 rachet extensions.

Wasn't hard to get to with the allen wrench either ididn't think.

Yours may be more cramped because you have the 6.0 and he has the 7.3. Maybe theres something thats in the way in yours, but not on his.

99-03 superduty's with the 7.3, the steering box adjustment is fairly easy to get to.

#22 ·
I don't really know what its called, but I call it a tie rod. It's the long rod that connects to your spindles, check those balljoints. Mine are bad on mine im getting ready to replace them. At O'reilys they are 125$ a pop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.