Massive Oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Massive Oil leak

I just installed a CCV mod and now there is massive oil coming out of the turbo pedestal. There'd been an oil build up in the intake valley for a while now and the pedestal has oil gunk dried on it, so I think it's just coincidence that it started really gushing now. I unplugged the CCV mod hose by the air intake and it was blowing freely, so I really don't think that's the issue. The only other thing I did was clean and re-tighten the intercooler pipes and boots while installing the CCV mod. We were backing out of the driveway after the CCV mod and intercooler pipe cleaning when my wife noticed a huge pool of oil where the truck was parked at, so I didn't drive the truck at all after the CCV mod / intercooler pipe cleaning.

I spent a long time laying on the motor today with a extendable mechanics mirror and a flashlight, then I ran it and waited for the oil to start leaking badly. It doesn't come out until the truck starts to warm up, like about 3-5 minutes, then it really comes out. The previous owner took the EBVP off when he installed a new turbo b/c it stuck closed and burnt the original turbo up. So, there's a hole with a bolt stud coming out of it about halfway up on the right side of the pedestal that can be seen on the right (passenger side) below the exhaust side of the turbo. At first I thought the oil may be running off the top of the pedestal, but I'm almost 100% sure it's actually coming out of that hole. Could someone PLEASE give me some guidance on this? I don't know what could be causing this. If the O-rings were bad wouldn't the oil just leak from the top or bottom and not come out a hole in the middle of the pedestal?

Update.... I think I've just found the problem. I found the fantastic attached picture courtesy of the tech files here on how to diagnose a 7.3L oil leak. The oil is coming out of the housing where the red writing says Exhaust Back pressure rod on the turbo pedestal.

If this sounds reasonable, what's my next step? Get a pedestal without the EBVP (since my turbo doesn't have the EBVP anyway)? If so, where's a good place to get them?
Attached Thumbnails
Massive Oil leak-turbopedestal7.3l-ebvp-rod.jpg  

Last edited by PwrStrkd73; 03-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 05:19 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Heres a bump for ya. I have a small oil leak on mine. Only drips once in a while, but i want to fix it before it gets worse. Have you taken off the turbo? If so how hard was it?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrStrkd73 View Post
Update.... I think I've just found the problem. I found the fantastic attached picture courtesy of the tech files here on how to diagnose and oil leak. The oil is coming out of the housing where the red writing says Exhaust Back pressure rod on the turbo pedestal.

If this sounds reasonable, what's my next step? Get a pedestal without the EBVP (since my turbo doesn't have the EBVP anyway)? If so, where's a good place to get them?
Gut and plug your own...
Gutting the Turbo Pedistal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
Heres a bump for ya. I have a small oil leak on mine. Only drips once in a while, but i want to fix it before it gets worse. Have you taken off the turbo? If so how hard was it?
Easy... here's the writeup for that.
Turbo Pedistal Oring RnR

Removing/Replacing Turbo 7.3 PSD
Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

thanks marty!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, thanks Marty. I LOVE the tech files here!! Where has this site been for the last 2 years I've owned my PSD!! That made my night. I've been down in the dumps the last 2 days over this, mostly not knowing what was making the oil leak or where it was coming from, but now with a little work the pedestal should be leak free. With that and the CCV mod I should FINALLY have a nice clean engine. Well for the most part anyway!!! THUMBS UP TO YOU GUYS!!!

Last edited by PwrStrkd73; 03-24-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.