PS pump or Hydroboost? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PS pump or Hydroboost?

My 2001 F250 is making a whining sound from the PS pump whenever I turn the steering wheel. The brake pedal is also hard to press and makes a fart sound when you do press it. Steering is fine as far as turning the wheel, it turns freely with no hard steering, but the steering is all over the place when driving, you constantly have to adjust the wheel to keep going straight.

I have been told by one mechanic that it is the PS pump and by one mechanic that it is the hydroboost. The mechanic that thinks it is the PS pump said that the PS pump is not putting out enough pressure to the hydroboost.

Anyone have a similar issue and what did you do to fix?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This helped mine so may work to help yours.
How to: Power Steering Flush (Video)
Old 06-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I flushed the system with Mercon V and it works great now. I think the previous owned used power steering fluid. I can't believe that it was that simple of a repair. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russtwentyfour View Post
This helped mine so may work to help yours.
How to: Power Steering Flush (Video)

Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atem2144 View Post
My 2001 F250 is making a whining sound from the PS pump whenever I turn the steering wheel. The brake pedal is also hard to press and makes a fart sound when you do press it. Steering is fine as far as turning the wheel, it turns freely with no hard steering, but the steering is all over the place when driving, you constantly have to adjust the wheel to keep going straight.

I have been told by one mechanic that it is the PS pump and by one mechanic that it is the hydroboost. The mechanic that thinks it is the PS pump said that the PS pump is not putting out enough pressure to the hydroboost.

Anyone have a similar issue and what did you do to fix?

Whining sound: power steering pump more than likely.

Hard brakes: hydroboost

Steering all over the place: Steering box

I had the whining and "slack" in the steering and replaced the box and had no issues. It actually got to the point one day where I lost brakes and steering because of the box. Replaced it with a Redhead steering box and haven't had any issues since.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 PM

i just ran in to this issue...last weekend when pulling my boat out of the water i noticed my brakes getting hard or spongey and making a noise when pressing on them. then by the time i got home (about 8 miles) i was also getting a whine when turning the wheel hard. upon examination i noticed something leaking all over my driver side fender area, axle and spring, plus it was all down the side of my boat i could see droplets coming off my high pressure line off the power steering pump and thought that was it.

Just now i got down in there to check things out. I can move my high pressure line coming from the power steering with my finger but the fitting itself is snug...its loose where the hard line comes out of the fitting and 90s through a square and on to the rest of the hard line before entering into the rubber line.
I checked the lines and wiped everything down, checked my power steering fluid level and it still seemed fine...not like it had been dumping out enough to cover everything AND the side of my boat. started her up and started turning the wheel. still have the loud *** whine but after a couple turns i could not determine where a leak was....

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated...not sure where to start at this point...
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You'll need someone moving the wheels back n forth while you get in there and look for the leak. Start there. The pump itself is pretty cheap n fairly easy to replace with the correct puller to remove the pulley.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 PM

before posting this i did have my girlfriend move the steering wheel back and forth while i searched for a leak. she only did it a hand full of times and i did not find anything but i KNOW it has to be leaking somewhere! so im gonna clean and wipe everything down and try it again. this time ill just spend a good 10 minutes of having the steering wheel turned until i find the leak! i will report back when i figure out where it is coming from.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:36 PM

is there a forum DYI info on how to change out the power steering pump? I cant find one unless im looking in the wrong place
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 PM

still cant find anything on the steps for removing/replacing the power steering pump...is there a DIY anywhere on this forum!?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac93218 View Post
still cant find anything on the steps for removing/replacing the power steering pump...is there a DIY anywhere on this forum!?
Its pretty easy. You just need to borrow the correct puller at autozone or similar parts store to remove the pulley first. Once you get that off its rather easy and a couple hoses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.