Trans doesn't want to shift down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Trans doesn't want to shift down

2000 f550 2wd. Fluid is full and unburnt. I have a 6.0 cooler and a deep pan. It's a reman jasper with about 30k on it.

The problem is that it doesn't want to shift down out of overdrive unless you get fairly hard on the throttle. For instance if you're merging on to an on ramp or in traffic, and you ease on the throttle it will rev a bit then go back into high gear. If you get on the throttle hard then it will shift fine.

From a stop it goes down into first by itself and shifts fine up to overdrive. It doesn't seem to slip and shifts good through the gears.

Torque converter?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
From what you're describing, I don't see a problem

I have a Jasper and I can relate to it not wanting to shift out of overdrive when slowly getting into the pedal but it torques right up to speed, no problem. If you goose it then it will downshift and rocket forward.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sounds like its just holding the gear for hopes of increased mpgs. I'm sure a custom tune could change it though.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 AM

No there's definitely something wrong. It's more like it is trying to decide what gear it wants. In town it tries to jump between gears a lot when you're going a steady speed or under light accel. Some where around 20mph or so I'd say.

I called jasper to start a warranty claim and they had me check the plug on the tranny for fluid on it. It seemed to be a little wet but I'm not positive. I cleaned it and put it back in after checking for bent pins. I also changed the fluid just to be sure of the cleanliness of the fluid and it was time for a change anyway. The fluid was very clean and not burnt at all. Only a slight amount of shavings on the magnetic drain plug. It doesn't seem to have any more wear than normal.

Did all that and today it's still acting the same. The o/d light is now flashing so I pulled the codes and got:
P0733
P0732
P0717
P0715
P0718

I'm driving so I can't research much until I get home today, but that seems to point to the speed sensors.

Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:12 AM

Update.

I pulled all the wiring out from under the truck and found the front speed sensor's wiring to be in bad shape. Ford doesn't sell a pig tail for it so luckily the '02 parts cab that I have in the yard was an auto. Swapped some plugs, fixed some chaffed wires, and put in a new front sensor for good measure.

Problem solved.

Side note; jasper gave me the direction to start with the front speed sensor, so shout out to them for their good service.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glad to hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.